Pattern

snowfan470

Hey John,

Whats causing this progressive spring-like stormy pattern?

Strongly Positive AO maybe??

And also...thanks so much for answering all the weather questions I have!

I'm taking meteorology 206 now...and its very shallow material...a lot of the stuff we are covering and are gonna be covering I already know....its basic...and so I sort of want to dive in more depth...thats the reason for all these questions. Next year is when the real fun starts with the 300 classes!

hunter74

Good question Snowfan! It looks like the NINA is still strengthening and could possibly be the strongest ever this late in Jan.

John, Do you have any thoughts on the chances of there being a multi-year Nina going into next winter? I have no Idea what effects a typical weakening Nina has on the MW- but I'll take my chances over a NINO.

Sorry to add this qustion here but I figured why start another thread for something that could be linked to yours.

Take care, and thank you very much for bringing us the greatest website on the internet. I can never get enough of it!

A

admin

snowfan470-

Not really sure what is causing this and not sure we will know anytime soon, based on our current lack of knowledge when it comes to large scale and seasonal weather happenings.

I can say that most indicies do not control the weather, then just describe a specific setup.

hunter74-

Seems like the general thinking is for the current La Nina to gradually phase out as we head through the summer. With that said, forecasting the ENSO is pretty much guesswork at this point, so I do not put a ton of faith into it. I can say that in the past 40 years or so, there have been many multi-year La Nina events.

-John