Pictures and Conditions from Price County

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just back from a couple of days in Price County. Went up on Friday morning with some of the worst road conditions in a long time. Too many in the ditch to count, some went straight in, some were upside down, and I saw one trailer that was torn in half. Not sure how that happened. Hope they all got home in one piece.
Now, for the good stuff. Lodging was in Phillips right on the trail. Hats off to the clubs and the groomers of Price County. Terrific job maintaining and the signage along with the maps are first rate. Plenty of snow for them to work with, step off the trail and it's above your knees. The lakes are marked but they are rough from the earlier warm ups. Traffic on the trails was moderate for a weekend. There's always a couple of "Rickys on the Wrong Side" in the corners. Probably the same guys that were upside down in the ditch on the way north.:) Friday, I only had time for about 50 miles. Saturday we covered most of the east half of the county adding 225 miles. And it was COLD!

P16.jpg
This is what it looked like with -5 at 8 a.m.

This next one is one of my favorite stops on the way to Moose Jaw for lunch.
P7.jpg
The Covered Bridge at Smith Rapids.

P6.jpg

The following are some shots from the trails.

P14.jpg

P11.jpg

The next one is looking west across Lake Duroy. Phillips is just on the far side.
P10.jpg

From Moose Jaw we headed south for Timm's Hill. This is the Observation Tower in all her glory.
And that's not me up there, I'd probably blow a gasket climbing those stairs with all my gear on.
P17.jpg

This next one is from nearby the tower. This is looking north, forest all the way to Lake Superior.
P1.jpg
The next couple are just oddities that we see along the trail. This first one, I can't tell if they need a plumber or a roofer...
P8.jpg

P15.jpg

I had the chance to trial both the Mod 3 and the Exome helmets on this trip. I'll try to post my thoughts at a later time.
Have a great week everybody!

Gary

kraven700

Gary,

Thanks for sharing -NICE PICS-Looks like BEAUTIFUL conditions

Years ago, we used to ride Price County a LOT (a.k.a. PUCKERVILLE), but as the snow became scarce we headed further North

You mentioned Moose Jaw, but Is Musky Jack's still open?

How about Winter Green resort?

And Trap & Fish, West of Park Falls on the Tuscobia Trail

we used to ride there from Wintergreen or Pine Forest Lodge on Pike Lake (burned down years ago) or Tower Motel on Highway 70
Approximately 100 miles each way for a 200 mile day

I hope conditions hold up, maybe we'll head over there this winter

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not familiar with Trap & Fish and Katden4 is current on the others. Phillips may be the most Snowmobile Friendly town I've been to.

I forgot to mention above, I paid $3.47 for unleaded at the local stations.

wisco-mb

Thanks for sharing! Great trails in Price. We were riding around Park Falls earlier last week.
I took my boy up the tower last year. Fantastic sights up there! We stopped at Hill of Beans after the hill stop so my boy could warm up and get some hot chocolate. They even stayed open later for us.
19/120 south of the bridge is a fun trail!

xcr440

Gary,

Thanks for sharing -NICE PICS-Looks like BEAUTIFUL conditions

Years ago, we used to ride Price County a LOT (a.k.a. PUCKERVILLE), but as the snow became scarce we headed further North

You mentioned Moose Jaw, but Is Musky Jack's still open?

How about Winter Green resort?

And Trap & Fish, West of Park Falls on the Tuscobia Trail

we used to ride there from Wintergreen or Pine Forest Lodge on Pike Lake (burned down years ago) or Tower Motel on Highway 70
Approximately 100 miles each way for a 200 mile day

I hope conditions hold up, maybe we'll head over there this winter
Trap & Fish was actually about 7 miles north of the Tuscobia on Trail 5 - they have been closed for YEARS (10+). One of the former owners now have a place called The Loretta Steakhouse in Loretta/Draper - Twin Cities of the north! LOL

saber1

Just back from a couple of days in Price County. Went up on Friday morning with some of the worst road conditions in a long time. Too many in the ditch to count, some went straight in, some were upside down, and I saw one trailer that was torn in half. Not sure how that happened. Hope they all got home in one piece.
Now, for the good stuff. Lodging was in Phillips right on the trail. Hats off to the clubs and the groomers of Price County. Terrific job maintaining and the signage along with the maps are first rate. Plenty of snow for them to work with, step off the trail and it's above your knees. The lakes are marked but they are rough from the earlier warm ups. Traffic on the trails was moderate for a weekend. There's always a couple of "Rickys on the Wrong Side" in the corners. Probably the same guys that were upside down in the ditch on the way north.:) Friday, I only had time for about 50 miles. Saturday we covered most of the east half of the county adding 225 miles. And it was COLD!

View attachment 67871
This is what it looked like with -5 at 8 a.m.

This next one is one of my favorite stops on the way to Moose Jaw for lunch.
View attachment 67872
The Covered Bridge at Smith Rapids.

View attachment 67873

The following are some shots from the trails.

View attachment 67874

View attachment 67875

The next one is looking west across Lake Duroy. Phillips is just on the far side.
View attachment 67876

From Moose Jaw we headed south for Timm's Hill. This is the Observation Tower in all her glory.
And that's not me up there, I'd probably blow a gasket climbing those stairs with all my gear on.
View attachment 67877

This next one is from nearby the tower. This is looking north, forest all the way to Lake Superior.
View attachment 67878
The next couple are just oddities that we see along the trail. This first one, I can't tell if they need a plumber or a roofer...
View attachment 67879

View attachment 67880

I had the chance to trial both the Mod 3 and the Exome helmets on this trip. I'll try to post my thoughts at a later time.
Have a great week everybody!

Gary

Where did u guys stay looking for a place on the trail or close to it ?

skiroule

Very nice, thank you for sharing, it’s pictures like this that really bring the snowmobile sport to life
Totally agree! Some amazing shots Gary, really makes me feel like I was along for the ride. Beautiful trails and scenery and I loved the Wall Drug sign.

pclark

Here are some pictures from Price County from Wednesday this week. We were east of Phillips, saw the Wall Drug sign so was on same trail Gary and his group was. We road in from MW to Solberg Lake and the Polish Palace for lunch. 165 mile round trip, i'll let the pics speak for themselves but Price never disappoints me. And these pics were taken at 12pm.

1675639418759.png
1675639454150.png
1675639483145.png
1675639503948.png
1675639527234.png

bayfly

We got up to ride at our cabin on Soo Lake, just west of Phillips, Wisconsin, with a few friends this weekend. We did a short loop to the south on Friday and avoided riding any pavement. Trails were in very good shape in spite of the warm weather. Lakes were great also. We did another small loop to the west and north Saturday morning. Pavement was pretty clear by then but again the trail were very good. Saturday afternoon was spent to the east and south. A stretch of the trail headed to Phillips was on bone clear pavement; very ugly. Even though the trails were thinning, the ride was still very good off the pavement. It was 10 degrees this morning but is projected to warm to 40 today. Under a storm watch for tonight and with cooling temps this week, riding next weekend should be similar. Not excellent, but very good for this time of year. March bonus rides are still available in this area anyway.

wiviperman

This right here is what I call my "backyard". I have a cabin just south of Fifield that I purchased in 2001. I know all of these trails extremely well & really enjoy riding them.
My wife & I got engaged on the covered bridge, it is one of her favorite places up there!
Unfortunately I have not been spending the time that I would like up there, but I sure am going to try to change that in the future. I may even sneak my "one last ride" in up there if the snow hits again as they are predicting.
I feel it is one of the best places to ride in Wisconsin as there are not as many "Ricky Racers" that ride in Price County.