Plasma or HDLCD TV

mikeh906

Starting to shop for a new tv, what is the difference, and which one should I buy? I own a few lcd tv's now with no problems. 500.00 max price

nytro_rtx

If they are to be used in a well lit room LCD, if the room is very dim and dark then you want a plasma.

X2 we have both and the plasma has alot of reflection compared to the LCD. We just bought a LCD to replace the plasma in our living room because of the glare from the light coming in and put the plasma in the basement.
nytro

saber

I agree a plasma is best in a room with no windows or light that may reflect on the glass screen. I have a Plasma in the Man Cave downstairs and a LCD in the living room.

The LCD screen will damage easier if something strikes it (kids playing with a ball etc).

Go to the big box store of your choice on a Sunday when NASCAR is on and look at the word banner that scrolls across the top of the screen to see which has the better picture and then decide.

Oh yeah, the LCD weighs 1/4 what the plasma does so that may factor into your decision as well if you plan on hanging it on the wall. It takes 2 people to get my plasma (42")off the wall if necc. I can literally pick up the LCD with 1 hand.

StreetnSnow

Much of what has been said so far is spot on.

The difference in energy consumption isn't something to ignore though.

A Plasma can draw roughly 2 to 3 times as much current during use.
The extra $$ spent powering the Plasma over it's life span will likely exceed it's purchase price.

I've got a Plasma & love it, but those trying to cut energy costs should consider LCD.

D

Deleted member 10829

I purchased a Samsung 46" LCD 3D unit a few months ago and love it! No complaints.

mikeh906

Thanks all, LCD seems fine for my needs. I do have a height limit, so 46 is as big as I can go. Sunday during Nascar it is. LOL

ezra

the other thing to look for is to maske sure you can opperate the tv with out the remote control.I got one at best buy last yr set it up about a weel latter could not find the remote.well I just walked up to the tv to turn it on NOT HAPPINING no on off no channel change nothing nota zip.so I went to best buy startel looking around about 10% have no controls.

whitedust

Lots to consider:
Using computer & internet on TV?
Do you need 3d?
Do you use TV to play games?
Sound System TV or external?
Can signal provider bring in true HD?
Bright refective room?
Energy consumption important to you?
Type of LCD backlighting do you prefer?
Screen refresh rate?

Figure out what matters to you most & proceed with the proper tech from there.

mikeh906

Lots to consider:
Using computer & internet on TV?
Do you need 3d?
Do you use TV to play games?
Sound System TV or external?
Can signal provider bring in true HD?
Bright refective room?
Energy consumption important to you?
Type of LCD backlighting do you prefer?
Screen refresh rate?

Figure out what matters to you most & proceed with the proper tech from there.

Yes to all of the above. Its confusing, I need to get tv educated just to buy one. Will wait for a rain day and hit Brandsmart and Best Buy for class. I do have a height limitation of 34 inches and its a smaller room with no direct sunlight.

whitedust

I went thru this back in November & there are lots of features I don't use. For me I boiled it down to a very good HD picture 55" TV at a competitive price. I bought 2ea Vizio 55" HD LCD fluoresce back lite @ $1000 a piece @ Sams Club & have been very satisfied with the purchase. LCD HDTVS are back lite by fluoresce lighting or LED lighting. LED LCD lighting is the latest & greatest but I don't see any picture quality advantages for my use so I went with fluoresce lighting & saved $500 per set.LED LCD lighting is good but you will pay for it so make sure you need it. You can still buy LCD HDTVS @ 60HZ but go with 120 HZ for faster processing speed for games & computer interface. 3d is also pricey but if you need it you will pay for it most use is for games with a few movies & zero 3d broadcast signal. For $500 budget limit you may want to consider 780P vs 1080P as not that important for 36 to 42 inch HDTVs. Plasmas are inherently faster on the processor side at 240HZ but soak up power & are not good for reflective rooms. You can get some excellent pricing on smaller plasmas so check around. For games & computer interface do you homework as processor speed can make or break games. Ask for a demo to be sure. Best Buy really is not your best bet for price so I have not purchased from them in the last 5 years. You are better off with big box stores once you know what you want. I hope this helps as lots to learn but it all easily will fall into place so don't mislead by a dorky store clerk.