Please Help!!! Skunk Sprayed under Porch!

moen_lake

Had a skunk spray under our concrete front porch and the smell is unbearable. She sprayed back near the foundation and the smell is inside the house. We are actually staying at my parents house because the smell is so bad.

I was able to trap the skunk and skunk proof the porch but need help with getting rid of the smell.

If anyone has recommendations or advice I would truly appreciate it!

Thanks,

Tom

mrbb

Man that sucks
I don't know if this would help or??
but what about smoking it, get a fire going in something you can control, like a metal 5 gallon bucket
use wood, tree branches and the likes
once you get a decent base of ashes going and some fire, add some green wood for smoke
keep it away's from deck/porch
and use a leave blower to blow the smoke under it, EASY on the leave blower, don't go blowing fire and hot amber's under the porch and burn it down LOL
if you have pine, it seems to smoke up really (also the oils in them kinda bond there scent to things the smoke contacts)well when green,JUST WATCH THE PINE NEEDLES so they again don't carry fire/sparks
NOW this might work OK< as long as you don't hate the smell of a wood fire?

that would be I think what I would try?
again don't know if it will work or not, but? its a good cover scent I think to try and easy to do?

jr37

Barn Lime would help with the odor, if you can get it to the problem. I have used it under my deck, but I could spread it on the problem area.

mezz

Have you considered a power washer? Some you can connect a draw tube for drawing a cleaning agent while spraying. Perhaps Skunk Be Gone, Dawn dish soap & vinegar, there are a number of helpful hints on the subject on the web. I would definitely NOT try smoking it though!-Mezz

mrbb

well I doubt your going to want to powerwash the inside of the houe, which is where thej smoke might work best ?
BUT be careful about the smoke staining the cement, as I forgot to add that, as many woods have oils in them that can transfer in the smoke to cement and the likes
but smoke has been known to naturalize and cover up many scents
lots of hunters swear by it to out fox a deer nose, which is about a 100 times better than a humans
SO< if it can cover up a human smell to a deer, it should be able to cover up some of a skunks to a human>

t_man

If you can spray the area that the skunk sprayed, get one of the enzyme based odor removers. The enzymes break down the organic oils/chemicals that cause the smell. Have had good luck with Nature's Miracle products before.

mrbb

When house is burning to the ground atleast you wouldn't smell the skunk....
how big fire you planning or think you need to make smoke ?? doesn\t take much at all,
ever see anyone smoke meats in a small smoker??
you can make a lot of smoke in a pot for cooking with a small base of even charcoal, and just add green SMALL woods, even woods made for cooking meats on a grill?

all you need is the smoke, guys NOT flames and a huge fire, WOW< you guys overreact I think fast!

mezz

Had a skunk spray under our concrete front porch and the smell is unbearable. She sprayed back near the foundation and the smell is inside the house.

well I doubt your going to want to powerwash the inside of the houe, which is where thej smoke might work best ?
As I read his plea (above), the spray is outside, I certainly would not advise him to pressure wash "inside" the house.

If you can spray the area that the skunk sprayed, get one of the enzyme based odor removers. The enzymes break down the organic oils/chemicals that cause the smell. Have had good luck with Nature's Miracle products before.

Good advise here as well, kind of what I was getting at with the application of a similar liquid with the aid of the power washer. As far as the idea of neutralizing with smoke, seriously? Like slimcake stated, "When the house is burning at least you won't smell the skunk".:cool: I don't think their insurance co. would appreciate that one, besides, by smoking up the place, you still have to wash the walls down (by hand of course) LOL!-Mezz

mrbb

As I read his plea (above), the spray is outside, I certainly would not advise him to pressure wash "inside" the house.

he said the inside of the house smells too
Thus, ??smoke can travel into the house to help
IT was a simple solution to the issue at hand
GOD you people must be thinking about a huge fire to burn the house down and to turn the walls black
Haven't any of you ever had a camp fire in your back yard without burning down your homes, or staining your walls??
ever sit by a camp fire and smell your clothes when you went inside??
did you burn them off your back sitting next to the fire, was your face covered in black smoke grease and film?? NO< MAN!
come on folks, get real here,
have to be a moron to build a fire so big as to burn the home down(and yes some morons have done this, a local guy near me burned his house to the ground and across the street was the fire dept
dumping gas onto a running lawn mower ON his deck? , gas went under decck and up she went, total losse even with fire company across the street LOL
so, yes morons are out there)

Smoke isn't a disaster containing black oils and grease that stain everything it touches
way over reacting here
Using smoke has been something cave men used to smoke and cure meats and for other use's
use a little common sense here and smoke can help as a cover scent, if someone wanted to use it!
DIDN't say it was the greatest way, JUST A WAY!
some folks get the wrong idea so fast?? makes me wonder what they do??

- - - Updated - - -

baking Soda is a natural odor absorption tool too!
mixing it with peroxide, can also tame smell from a skunk, its used to wash animals (dogs) that get sprayed
I am sure you an mix some up and try washing your porch with it as well!

Woodtic

Odor ban works well. You can also put a charcoal filter in your furnace,provided you have forced air. The Granger in Rockdale will have both. I have seen a small selection of charcoal filters at Menards in Plainfield . Leave the fan on and change the filter every three days. They should be about 10 $. Each.

chunk06

I feel bad for you. I had a great Pyrenees get nailed one time, for about a year or so every time that dog got just a little wet you could still smell it. We tried everything and nothing got rid of it completely except time.