Pointless to go out west just to trail ride?

chadlyt

Just wondering, i see all these posts...but what about us people that trail ride 100% of the time.

I love to sightsee, but it would be trail only, is it worth it?

it would be dumb of me to think i can go and try off tail when i've never done much of it. even if i were in shape (i'm not, 15 years of smoking doesnt help) i'd probably die, and i understand there is must more involved.

If i were to go just ot trail ride, and if you all think it is worth it, should i still attend classes, etc?

snoluver1

Absolutely worth it!! The most beautiful terrain you will ever see on a sled, period. Depending on the area you choose, you will also probably ride some of the best trails you have ever been on also. Still not a bad idea to take a class. Many trails run past slide areas and a class will help you to be able to spot them and stay clear if needed. Also the temptation to go play in bottomless powder will be strong, even if you are a die hard trail rider. Give it a go. You will NOT be disappointed.

Firecatguy

Togwotee has the best trail around!!! and one day of you trip you can take a sled tour into Yellowstone park.........if i was a trail rider looking this would be one the best vac around........most the people we see coming from local towns are trail riders they come up for the day and run the trails......

Last edited:

yamadude

Just got back from the Snowies a couple weeks ago and we did some trail and a lot of off trail. You will not be dissapointed with the trail riding out there! Some of the most beautiful scenery you will ever see. The Snowy Range area has 315 miles of trails, 201 of them are groomed. Not as many fuel stops as Wisc/U.P. you just have to plan a bit more. I would say just get out there and RIDE!

RevKev

If your strictly a trail rider, as others mentioned, the west has some of the most senic and well maintianed trails around. Togwotee Pass has a large (600 miles) trail system, along with the Snowy Range (near Laramie WY) If you wish to take your sleds, Look into hauling them out Via Moms Motorsports ( http://www.momsmotorsports.com and ride in the Semi or fly out and meet up with your sleds and gear. Most lodges will also have rentals avaliable as well ( range in the $150-$200 per day range)

polarisrider1

If your strictly a trail rider, as others mentioned, the west has some of the most senic and well maintianed trails around. Togwotee Pass has a large (600 miles) trail system, along with the Snowy Range (near Laramie WY) If you wish to take your sleds, Look into hauling them out Via Moms Motorsports ( http://www.momsmotorsports.com and ride in the Semi or fly out and meet up with your sleds and gear. Most lodges will also have rentals avaliable as well ( range in the $150-$200 per day range)

Kev, remember that bunch of trail riders I hauled out to Lava Mtn. Lodge with us a few years back. The cussing chain smokers. They all have since gotten out of snowmobiling. After "trail" riding between Lava and Tog. all week 32-35 miles one way, they were so beat. we would get back to the Big House we rented and they would be asleep by 6pm. They said, "We plan to do 230-240 mile days. We said, "yea right". Their big day was 80 miles and they took over 800 pictures that week. I seen one of them at Novi and he said that Michigan riding was no longer any fun, marginal snow, corn fields and railroad grades why bother.

RevKev

Kev, remember that bunch of trail riders I hauled out to Lava Mtn. Lodge with us a few years back. The cussing chain smokers. They all have since gotten out of snowmobiling. After "trail" riding between Lava and Tog. all week 32-35 miles one way, they were so beat. we would get back to the Big House we rented and they would be asleep by 6pm. They said, "We plan to do 230-240 mile days. We said, "yea right". Their big day was 80 miles and they took over 800 pictures that week. I seen one of them at Novi and he said that Michigan riding was no longer any fun, marginal snow, corn fields and railroad grades why bother.

Yup, flat landers for sure, and as Matt noted, POOR tippers, guess they wanted to keep their money for the Bar tab.:rolleyes:

polarisrider1

Yup, flat landers for sure, and as Matt noted, POOR tippers, guess they wanted to keep their money for the Bar tab.:rolleyes:

Their goal was to each have one of each beer that Lava Mtn. had until they sampled them all. I think there were 30 different beers. One guy did it. They did buy the local old Cowboy a Prime Rib dinner one night. that was nice of them.

Good trail riding to be had out there, but I would start very early. The mtn. sleds are a bit rough on the trails as the day goes by. It's kinda the same like here for grooming. Groomed at night, so good in the morning and whipped by late afternoon.

MnCatGuy

A group of us head out this weekend to Wy. We stay at a cabin over by Crooked Creek and The Line Shack. We can always find good powder and the trails are very good.

snoluver1

Was just thumbing through some old pics and came across this. This is what you can expect for western trails. Whada ya think? Is it worth it?;)
picture.php

kraven700

Just wondering, i see all these posts...but what about us people that trail ride 100% of the time.

I love to sightsee, but it would be trail only, is it worth it?

it would be dumb of me to think i can go and try off tail when i've never done much of it. even if i were in shape (i'm not, 15 years of smoking doesnt help) i'd probably die, and i understand there is must more involved.

If i were to go just to trail ride, and if you all think it is worth it, should i still attend classes, etc?

Usually we ride Northern Wisc + U.P.200 miles per day

We drove 24 hours (1600+ miles) in my S.U.V. towing 4 short-track sleds to WEST YELLOWSTONE to trail ride and enjoy the scenery in 1988 (6 days riding), 2002 (6 days riding), 2004 (8 days riding) , and 2005 (5 days riding).Less than 100 miles per day

If it were up to me I'd ride out West 2x a season and no where else, just for the scenery!

Just go, you won't regret it

I think if you got out here you'd be surprised how many meadows & low key areas there are, you don't have to be a ripper to come enjoy some safe, no avy danger pow without a ton of technicality. The biggest issue with coming out here is that a lot of people get lured in by little hills & valleys... we just had another death on a 100 foot hill a few weeks ago, and just had some good local riders get caught on another similar hill last week. Things that seem benign can be MUCH more dangerous than you think.

If you come out... enjoy the trails, blast some meadows, but if you're gonna touch the hills you need to get some training. The soft fluffy hillsides are deceptive.

Either way... get out here, it'll get you hooked!!

dekx

Togwotee has the best trail around!!! and one day of you trip you can take a sled tour into Yellowstone park.........if i was a trail rider looking this would be one the best vac around........most the people we see coming from local towns are trail riders they come up for the day and run the trails......

I rode some trails in Tog last year for the first time, absolutely beautiful! Just remember, the stops are not there. The only two places that were open were Brooks lake lodge (and only till two) and Lava opened after four. Just keep that in mind. Here a pic I found from last year, just awsome scenery!

Attachments

• Togwotee February 2010 298.jpg
    Togwotee February 2010 298.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 52