Polaris Clutch Doesn't Spread

mngolf4

It appears something broke so my clutch won't spread using the tool provided ('08 Switchback 600). Appreciate someone telling me what's broken inside the clutch.

I've had the sled since new and it's always worked until now. Now when I thread the tool in it gets to a point where it basically stops (I would have to use more than hand pressure to go any further) and the clutch hasn't spread. Thanks in advance.

polarisrider1

X3, I suspect you are talking about the secondary clutch. This can happen when you hit reverse pretty hard. Snug up the threaded tool and tap on outer sheave with a rubber mallet it will pop loose.

mngolf4

Thanks all, sounds like I've got a common issue here. Although I drove it onto the trailer for storage in the spring and I pulled it off the trailer this fall (no belt installed) so as far as I know I haven't been in reverse for a while.

polarisrider1 - with threaded tool snugged up, where specifically am I tapping on the outer sheave?

polarisrider1

Thanks all, sounds like I've got a common issue here. Although I drove it onto the trailer for storage in the spring and I pulled it off the trailer this fall (no belt installed) so as far as I know I haven't been in reverse for a while.

polarisrider1 - with threaded tool snugged up, where specifically am I tapping on the outer sheave?
Yes

motor_slut

Even if it wasn't in reverse the clutch can be in reverse. Grab the rear sheave (back of the clutch) and rotate it forward (counterclockwise) until it stops.

mngolf4

Tried both and neither worked - I've pulled the clutch and I'm headed to the dealer in the AM. Appears to be something amiss / broken inside. Anyone had one of these apart?

mngolf4

As usual, the folks on John Dee were right. Just wouldn't pop out of reverse via the 2 methods suggested. Oh well, now I have a nice clean clutch and I know what it looks like inside!!!