Polaris Headlights dimming, a callout to Polaris mechanics.

big_bill

Okay, here's my dilemma. I have a 2000 600 Touring with 20000 miles on it. Total rebuild 2 seasons ago. Even before rebuild, headlights would be dim at first, but after running a bit, the lights would be normal. Getting worse this year so first I checked all the connections. Still dim. Just replaced the REGULATER-RECTIFIER SNO,LR26 Part # 4010196 but still dimming on and off. Then I cleaned the little groung wire that goes from negetive post to solinoid on battery box. Cleaned negetive cable where it bolts to starter mount. Any other things I need to do? What else will cause this? My Brother also has the same sled but with less miles, and lights also dim at first, but when get bright, they stay bright. I very much appretiate any and all the help I get and have gotten in the past from the great people that use John Dee.

Attachments

• DSCN0610.jpg
    DSCN0610.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 14

skiroule

Sorry Bill, no solution but this must be a pretty common problem - have the same issue with my 2000 XCSP. On mine, it's not just the headlights. All of the lights dim: dash lights and tail lights included.

Like your brothers, mine will stay bright once they kick in. If I run it every day, I don't see the problem but if it sits for longer periods of time (like this year :( ), the problem shows up. It's stored inside now but it was previously stored outside for several years so I suspect corrosion at a common point. Just don't know where.

big_bill

It is all the lights, not just the headlights. Mine used to "kick in" and stay lit, but thats no longer the case. The lights kick in and out, mostly out.

dognvenus

You might check the dimmer switch....? If I bumped mine from time to time mine would act the same way. Finally just went out, at a great time of course. Got caught in a whiteout riding back to Land O Lakes. Had to put the wife on point, she did a great job and got us back to Buckhorn Lodge. It could be crud in the switch or that the switch is just got enough age on it. I just replaced the left block and cured the problem. my .02

Dog

bobsledder

My 03 Frontier did the same thing till the dimmer switch in the left handlebar pod fell apart. I cant put on my brights but I no longer have dims.

dognvenus

When mine quit, I pulled the pod apart, got on JD old posts and found out what wire colors did what and did some 'cuttn'..... I wired it direct so I had dims but one of the wires is also the ground or hot (forget, I've slept since then) for the grip heaters so you have to make sure that one get included. I know in the old posts there are detailed instructions on how to do this or Google it, theres alot of info out there about it.

When I was able to get a new pod purchased, I sodered all the conections back and shrink tubed them.

That dimmer switch was not one of Polaris's brightest ideas. Alot of people had problems.

Dog

big_bill

Headlight Dimmer switch? Thats sounds like it could cause the problem I have
. Will check it out. Thanks for the feedback and does anyone else have any input?

rmk4ever

Most likely the dimmer switch, try & rewire it. Poo is real proud of this switch $100 + IIRC. Rewired mine & good to go on a 2000 sks. My lights did exactly what you are describing.

hednup2

Check your manual wiring diagram and see if you have a loadshed modulator, I have 2 - 04 frontier classics that did the same thing, first it was lights then warmers a year or so later. The modulator regulates the power by using the ground instead of the hot wire. Now that I have everyone confused, at 100hz the modulator gives 100% ground, when under 100hz it only gives 30%, what's happening here is the modulator is stuck on the 30% ground. If you notice (modulator working) when your sled is ideling the lights go dim and when throttling up the lights get brighter, why the guys at polaris did that is beyond my intellect. My light system is brown/yellow wire color, warmers are brown/red, I cut the wires going into the modulator and added a piece of wire long enough to reach the ground bolt on the back of the bracket, now I have bright lights with high beams and warmers. At $125.00 a pop and going through 2 of em in 3 years got kinda expensive. I'm not a polaris tech, but like everyone who owns a sled or 2 knows unless you got deep pockets you better learn how to work on these things. I also thought it was the dimmer took it apart and tested system with voltage/ohm meter everything was ok. Good luck

raceinsnow

Was the voltage regulator a Polaris part? If you used a after market voltage regulator then that could be the problem,I have had issues with them not working right on Polaris sleds.Try the OEM Polaris part first.

edmarino

I would check and see if you have a load shed module ion your sled. Polaris did not do this on all their models ,if not then ground circut would be the most likely suspect. Why they put a load shed module in the system leaves a huge question in my mind. I suppose it is to protect something.

big_bill

Yes, I used "Pure Polaris" part. Will check out the dimmer switch when I clean it up for storage. Looks like I'm done riding for the this season unless we get hammered like last week. Went up to Mio and cound not believe all the snow was gone! Last Monday had tons of snow and this weekend it was gone! Thanks for all the feedback.

Gloseloth56

Check your manual wiring diagram and see if you have a loadshed modulator, I have 2 - 04 frontier classics that did the same thing, first it was lights then warmers a year or so later. The modulator regulates the power by using the ground instead of the hot wire. Now that I have everyone confused, at 100hz the modulator gives 100% ground, when under 100hz it only gives 30%, what's happening here is the modulator is stuck on the 30% ground. If you notice (modulator working) when your sled is ideling the lights go dim and when throttling up the lights get brighter, why the guys at polaris did that is beyond my intellect. My light system is brown/yellow wire color, warmers are brown/red, I cut the wires going into the modulator and added a piece of wire long enough to reach the ground bolt on the back of the bracket, now I have bright lights with high beams and warmers. At $125.00 a pop and going through 2 of em in 3 years got kinda expensive. I'm not a polaris tech, but like everyone who owns a sled or 2 knows unless you got deep pockets you better learn how to work on these things. I also thought it was the dimmer took it apart and tested system with voltage/ohm meter everything was ok. Good luck

thanks man a big help for me. about LED light problems.

led tubes

Last edited:

big_bill

Last year I replaced this: 4 KIT-REGLTR-RECTIFIER SNO,LR26 1 $62.07 That didn't fix it. This year I replaced this:3 KIT-REGULATOR,AC LR7-LR9 1 $62.18 which fixed it. Polaris part number was supercided to 2203873. Its a kit that is bigger and different from the original but it works! Changed it on my sled and on my brothers sled and they both work perfect now. I changed the dimmer switch at $70. but that didn't work, so the 2203873 is what DID work.