Polaris PERC questions

kirk600

Hey folks, i was wondering about putting a 2001 polaris 600 ves motor in a 2005 sled. I was told that the gearing for the oil pump and waterpump is different between the two, and the oil pump
From the 2005 wont pump enough oil if i try to use it on the 2001 engine. I obviously want to keep the perc, so what are my options?

jccams

Don't know about output of the oil pump but if true why not use the 2001 pump, I know it doesn't work in reverse like the 05 but you shouldn't be in reverse long enough to hurt the motor. Now CDI might be an issue, is the timing curve the same between the two? May involve getting the CDI reprogrammed with right curve and PERC. Other thing is the flywheel, not sure if they are the same in regards to timing. I would think those three things are what you need to research, I don't have the answers but I'm sure someone will chime in that knows.

kirk600

Thanks for the reply jccams, i discovered that the flywheels are infact different......the early ones 14* and my 2005 18* so i should be able to swap them and use my same cdi. Just not sure on the oil pump not pumping issue

jccams

I would still try and find out if the timing curve in the CDI's are the same. I still think you can leave the 01 oil pump in place and you'ld be fine, I've seen this topic before as far as not worrying about the pump needing to work in reverse.

raceinsnow

At one time Polaris sold kits to do what you want. I installed one in my 02 Pro -x 600 a long time ago. I do know that they sent me a new oil pump so it would work in reverse. The crank gear and water pump gear are the same on the 01.