Polaris questions - 99 polaris 700xc

Modman440

Now I know this isn't the deal area to post however it's a 99 700 xc I've got oil Making puddles everywhere it stops to idle. I started it up to bring it in garage from trailer and while I had it idling on drive way I noticed a pretty decent puddle of oil. I looked at the pump lines are lined up so I would assume oil pump is trash?? If I let it sit for say 2 hrs go back out runs perfect for 5 is min then oil lake starts forming and it gets boggy I think I know the problem but just looking for other opinions since new pumps from what I've seen are tough to come buy and used ones are a gamble as well.

MOD

hybrid

Now I know this isn't the deal area to post however it's a 99 700 xc I've got oil Making puddles everywhere it stops to idle. I started it up to bring it in garage from trailer and while I had it idling on drive way I noticed a pretty decent puddle of oil. I looked at the pump lines are lined up so I would assume oil pump is trash?? If I let it sit for say 2 hrs go back out runs perfect for 5 is min then oil lake starts forming and it gets boggy I think I know the problem but just looking for other opinions since new pumps from what I've seen are tough to come buy and used ones are a gamble as well.

MOD

ck and make sure the choke plungers are seating when the choke is off

rmk4ever

I've seen where the fitting (coming from oil tank to oil pump) comes out of the oil pump it self. It is steel whereas the pump is alum. I had this prob on an old big block, out on the trail, I wound up cutting a hood cable & making a knot around said fitting. I rode that sled for 2 more yrs like that, still leaked a little. Let me check I think I still have some big block lower ends with pumps. Could send you one, but going out of town today for Turkey day.

mjkaliszak

Old sled like that you can always run premix prolly what I would do than spend money on it.

I like that ... plug off / cut lines and run premix. Not a convenient idea if you ride long distances . I had a POO pump fail an 08 600 RR and I had to yank the motor for the replacement. You may be able to get a used one from a salvage yard on the cheap ( compared to NIB = $$$ ).
I still remember being P/O'ed @ the price of the new pump. Failing oil pumps are rare .... in fact in the decades of riding sleds I have only had that one.
If my memory serves me correctly???? ( they are designed to fail open ) .

xcr440

Identify exactly where its leaking, it may just be a bad oil line, and fix it. It shouldn't be that hard to identify once the motor is running, as the oil pump is right on top of the recoil on that sled if I remember right.

Those oil pumps used can't be much, and there are probably 100's of them out there on the used market.

T

Tracker

the pumps almost NEVER fail....more than likely a small hole or crack in line or loose fitting line

Modman440

It's coming from exhaust you can tell the difference on how it runs first couple min and it's fine next couple min you can hear it run different and become boggy and oil will puddle on the ground I tore head off everything is in great shape so I'm gonna assume the pump is bad cylinder walls look perfect no head issues the piston tops look oily as all heck tho. Also you can't run premix in these sleds unless you want to grenade the motor. Mk4ever let me know when. You get home. I found a pump on ebay for 35 bucks so maybe I should buy it idk.
I read where you can turn pump back and if it doesn't fix issue and then I know for sure cause I've looked into everything else and went through process of elimination. At the price I paid for this sled it's very well worth putting money into just to keep around as a spare or a beater.

MOD

xcr440

It's coming from exhaust you can tell the difference on how it runs first couple min and it's fine next couple min you can hear it run different and become boggy and oil will puddle on the ground

MOD

Is it a smoke show after the first few minutes then as well?? Like you are fogging it?

hybrid

Modman440

Cable is in great shape functions as it should, I'm going to throw it back together and run it in the morning with out the can so I can visibly see what's coming out vs the can that I know is full of sh$!.

MOD