Polaris shift

fatdaddy

I'm lucky to have the machines and metal to make a piece that will look good, but thats only a patch on a problem. Polaris has a problem and they need to find out what that is to prevent others from the same issue. If it got that hot and melted it may also have started a fire. What if I pulled up next to the Hoop and there were 100 sleds parked next to each other and my sled went up in a hurry. Thats a real possiblity or if you load it in a cover trailer and start driving home, or pull it in a garage. This is a problem with some potential bad outcomes, a patch is simply a patch, and if its a common issue than they need to be aware of it.

toolie

I'm lucky to have the machines and metal to make a piece that will look good, but thats only a patch on a problem. Polaris has a problem and they need to find out what that is to prevent others from the same issue. If it got that hot and melted it may also have started a fire. What if I pulled up next to the Hoop and there were 100 sleds parked next to each other and my sled went up in a hurry. Thats a real possiblity or if you load it in a cover trailer and start driving home, or pull it in a garage. This is a problem with some potential bad outcomes, a patch is simply a patch, and if its a common issue than they need to be aware of it.

could'nt have said it better.

xcr440

Ok, this may drift the initial subject a bit, but help me out here guys.

Are the newer 2 stroke motors that much different as far as warm up goes than any other 2 stroke motor? I understand they need to be fully warmed up to go WOT, but seriously, a little spinning of the track on a stand, and then lower RPM's for the first mile or two, won't that sufficiently warm the motor without damaging, or cold seizing? Is the 70-80 degree recommendation just covering the manufacturers butt? I mean, I've done this on every sled I've owned so far without issue. Its not hard to tell by the sound when its fully warm.

fatdaddy

I have been riding sleds since 1978 and have always been told not to just start them and go, you want to let them warm up at least a little, I've also been told to take it easy on them for at least a mile so that all the parts start working together, ie belts, clutches, wheels and track. Each material is different and heats and cools at different rates so let them warm up. I know for a fact that when I purchased my 09 IQ-600 as a carry over in 2010, the dealer showed me the temp guage and said to let it warm up to avoid a potential cold sieze, not a sled mechanic it seems to make sense. This seems to be another problem caused by a previous problem. Let it warm up so you don't cold sieze the motor but were not going to warranty a melted belly pan. I also know AC had an issue with the crossfire, I don't know if this caused by running motors so lean to keep the oil consumtion down and milage up. As you know Ski doo has been pushing the weight issue and milage issue for years and other manufactures are doing everything they can to try to keep up. What they don't tell you is its mostly BS and the Ski doos are bending and really don't get that much better miliage. I still think this exhaust can is getting to hot some how, I'm thinking about putting in some vents to help with the heat. What do you guys think?

xcr440

I have been riding sleds since 1978 and have always been told not to just start them and go, you want to let them warm up at least a little, I've also been told to take it easy on them for at least a mile so that all the parts start working together, ie belts, clutches, wheels and track. Each material is different and heats and cools at different rates so let them warm up.

Yeah, exactly. I've been riding since the early 70's, so warming up all components is nothing new, I am just curious if watching a temp guage get to a certain point is really that critical, as long as you take it easy. I mean, this is true for all motors, not just snowmobile motors.

As for melting the plastic, sounds like a design flaw to me, but I doubt I'd get in that situation, not letting the sled idle for more than a minute or two.

srt20

No hole in mine. I usually let mine warm up to 90-100*. But there has been times where it has idled for 15-20 mins. The little flap in front of the exhaust outlet is broken off of mine though.

Polaris doesnt want you to not let it warm up because of cold seizure AND plug fouling. The ECM is in enrichment mode (just like having a choke on) under 85* or so. Alot of people that just start and go, foul plugs. If you take it easy, you foul plugs. If you hammer on it to not foul plugs, you cold seize it.

Also, the EGTs at idle are alot warmer than they used to be on carbed sleds. The reason why the EGTs are warmer is because of the EPA and tree huggers.

Im not defending Poo, because the others dont have this melting problem. But it all started with the EPA.

fatdaddy

some of the AC Crossfires had this issue as well, I also beleive the EPA has something to do with this regarding the emmissions , but as a manufacture you need to design around this. I can't beleive that people don't stop for a piss or smoke break and leave the sleds running, or perhaps help a stuck buddy out of a hole. In college our class worked with the us army and video taped cold weather practices/guidlines. They discussed everything from clothing to starting trucks. Basic theme, when any material is cold its stiff and needs to be slowly warmed up. This is not just a POO issue, all we want is it to be fixed

67rs

my buddy bought a 2003 ski doo summit with 600 miles on it from a green bay packer football player, brought it home a week before out west trip, started it to warm up phone range, took the call went to his shop down the road guess what he forgot about the sled, got back 1/2 hour later, sled was seized up, all plastic and rubber hoses melted and his spare mountain sled that was mint is now junk, plus he took his new 2011 summit out west and rolled it down the mountain into a tree, last year was a bad year, but there was nothing melted around the exhaust outlet, i have 2 friends with 2010 iq's that also have melted belly pans, when i seen this post i called them they looked and shure enough. both melted. just bought a new adventure today it better not happen to mine.. they told me to warm up to 70-80 degrees, polaris should cover this and fix what needs fixing to prevent it from happening again.. just my 2 cents.