Polaris XLT handling problem

tourguide

Need some help with my old 96 XLT touring, the thing handles pretty poor, steering is very heavy, darts alot and the rear end slides all over. It has 6 inch carbides and plastic skis that i took off an edge chassis, no stud in tha back. I've tried most adjustments I can think of, I usually ride on it with my 2 young daughters and for the 700 miles a year, cant replace it yet. Under 25 mph, not too bad, but above that and this thing will wear me out after a day of riding. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

whitedust

Too much pressure on skis harden preload centershock push that engine weight off skis ride & readjust until you have the load you want. Also check limiter strap may be pulled down too far? All easy adjustments.

catalac

The best thing I did for darting when I had my ZL was to put dual carbides on. I think I put 6 inchers on, but 4 would probably work too. Also won't own another sled without having some studs on, for trail riding anyhow.

rp7x

heavy steering

jack up the frt and make sure it turns easily, it may have somthing rusted solid ?

tourguide

Everything is free, the alignment and camber are both good, I was just out looking at it earlier, cranked up the pressure on the front track shock, it had 3/4 of its adjustment unused, ran up to about 1/2 way, have to wait for snow. Been thinkin about some studs... Might just have to do it. Thanks for all the advice guys.

whitedust

Yeppers that is the front preload centershock & hardening will release pressure off front skis. Did you look at the limiter strap to see if pulled too tight while you were under there?

tundra ron

Make sure that the mounting bolt in the plastic ski is not egg shaped. I did not put washers on when I converted from metal to plastic this caused the hole to go egg shaped.

tyeeman

I had the exact same problem on a 98 XLT Touring. THE BIGGEST SINGLE HELP was the addition of Bergstrom triple point carbides and the Bergstrom Ski Savers. Personally I think whether you use their triple point or single point carbides is irrelevent, but the ski saver pushes the wear bar/carbide deeper into the snow. I still ran pretty heavy ski pressure on the front shock springs, probably had the adjuster at 3/4 or better.
Also, yeah I also raised pressure on the center shock spring, that was probably the next biggest help. After that she was arrow straight. Oh, and ski alignment, about an 1/8" tow out on each ski.
I had everything documented, but I sold the sled and tossed out my notes.
Make one change at a time and document your changes as to whether it helped or not. Otherwise if you make a bunch of adjustments all at the same time you won't know which adjustment helped it or hurt it.