portable generator?

ranger_dave

anybody have suggestions on one to get for use ? mainly for using with a camping trailer and some light duty use in snowmobile trailer(trouble light and heater) been doing some searching looking at yamaha and honda, but are they that much better than the ones 1/2 the price?

snowbuff

Two nice things about the Honda.

1- The kick down feature. Engine rpm goes down when not a draw for power.

2- Quiet - Quiet - Quiet.

russholio

I can't speak for Yamaha (though my dad has a small Yammi outboard motor that runs like a champ, so I suspect their generators are of similar quality) but I do have a Honda EU2000i generator and I can tell you it's top-notch. I've had it for a number of years now and have never had a problem with it. Super quiet (makes less noise than a vacuum cleaner), easy starting, sips gas (runs for 12 hours on a tank in economy mode). I have nothing bad to say about it other than the price (but you generally get what you pay for), and can't say enough good about it. If I had it to do over and I had the money, I'd get the 3000 watt version -- which you would likely want if you're planning on running an electric heater --the 2000 isn't enough to power the microwave or air conditioner in my camper (though I mostly use it in hunting camp, so no AC necessary). During our power outage in early September it powered my 2 refrigerators and a few lights with no problems and only kicked up to high throttle briefly when the fridge motors would turn on. If you use it for rustic camping it can run all night and not disturb your sleep (or your neighbors, unless they're ultra sensitive to any noise of any kind). Well worth the extra money, in my opinion.

I mail ordered mine from some place in Illinois, I think, that was the cheapest price I'd seen anywhere. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name. Seems to me they're usually around $1k and I think I paid something like $875.

elf

I have a Yamaha 2000W and it is awesome. Same as the Honda, super quiet, fuel efficient. You get what you pay for. I have heard good things about the Champion 2000W Inverter generator. Supposed to be quiet like the Honda/Yamaha but about 2/3 the price. I think I bought my Yamaha from the same place Russholio bought his Honda. A place in Ill, wisesales.com. Best price I found, free shipping, no tax. The 2000W runs our camper just fine except for the A/C and my wifes hair dryer. When we were camping at Haydays this year all you could hear around the hay field we were in was loud generators banging away. Couldn't even hear our Yamaha. If I was to do it again, I might spend the extra $400 and get the 2400W version though.

russholio

I have a Yamaha 2000W and it is awesome. Same as the Honda, super quiet, fuel efficient. You get what you pay for. I have heard good things about the Champion 2000W Inverter generator. Supposed to be quiet like the Honda/Yamaha but about 2/3 the price. I think I bought my Yamaha from the same place Russholio bought his Honda. A place in Ill, wisesales.com. Best price I found, free shipping, no tax. The 2000W runs our camper just fine except for the A/C and my wifes hair dryer. When we were camping at Haydays this year all you could hear around the hay field we were in was loud generators banging away. Couldn't even hear our Yamaha. If I was to do it again, I might spend the extra $400 and get the 2400W version though.

Yep, that's the place.....forgot all about the free shipping and no tax!

cuzzinolaf

I have a Rigid 6800 Watt generator with a Yamaha engine. It has 8500 watts of starting power and I used it when our power was out for 4 days to power a freezer, refrigerator, window AC unit, and my neighbor's freezer, fridge and window AC unit. I had limited choices because I bought it when the power was out from bad storms but also think you can never have too much power. Home Depot had 0% for 12 months when I bought it so there was no interest. It also came with a 3 year warranty.

mjkaliszak

Hard to beat a Honda.... hands down the best purchase of all 3 generators I have owned. It's a 6500is, more than what you need but like said above " quiet... quiet...quiet ".

L

lenny

honda, yamaha, so quiet, you can set it between you and your wife at the diner table and still talk. They are fuel injected and you can have remote start for the cold morning where you don't wanna run out side in your undies and start it up, just push the buttom. I believe it is worth the extra for the technology

ezra

The Honda is a proven winner and if you want to resell your gen set the Honda will loose the lest amount of money.you never see a used one if you do it is still more than half the cost of new
I think honda has to a print ad on the st croix river it is great drive buy a island 30 boats parked 3ft apart 28 have Honda's on the swim platform

borderstaff

I have a Kipor. This one I found on Ebay only for reference (not mine) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kipor-IG200...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item53e2df957d

I have a 2000 watt and have owned it for about 5 years. It gets used about 20 hours a year at hunting camp and the cabin when we need electricity. I have no complaints. It sips gas and, like a Honda, it runs at low idle until power is needed so its pretty quiet - in fact it sounds about as loud as the Honda's that I've seen running. I've had zero issues with it and for the price, in my opinion, its worth it.

booondocker

While you could spend a bunch on a Honda or Yamaha....you surely don't have to.

I own both a honda and a cheaper unit and they are very similar it weight, and sound. Both are very efficient and compact to move around.

While the Honda was a real investment....I found this one to be just as good and the way I figure it....is so much cheaper it is like running for years on free gas.

Two year warranty give you piece of mind that if you get a lemon you can get it fixed or more likely another sent out.

While honda engines (like yamaha) are very good...the other engine makers are making very good quality stuff these days and you don't have to spend at honda prices if you don't want to.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Champion-40...09995475?pt=BI_Generators&hash=item45fdc082d3

Note: this is for occasional use and not daily....and it is NOT an inverter which adjusts speed to the amount of juice you actually need at the moment...inverters are more expensive, but in my book far more expensive in up front costs to justify the fuel savings over time by moderating the speeds...and fuel consumption.

For those who think that Honda is the only way to go....likely have not compared them to what is available and state of the art units available thru wholesale houses to make that judgment fairly.

lvr1000

I've had good luck with all my gen's. None are the big $ units, may not be as quite as a Honda, but I don't camp with a generator. The key is maintenance, fresh fuel with Stabil and running them once a month with an inconsistant load for 1/2 hour. If I don't burn the fuel out, I drain it at least once a year and put in the mower.

8250 watt Briggs Storm Surge-runs in a detached garage and powers the house by back feeding a 240 volt 40 amp line. Need that to start my well pump with 275 ft head (and most others things in the house)

3500 watt Champion, back up for Wisc house

3500 watt Dayton 30 some years old and built like a Sherman tank, and LOUDER than said tank. It has the on demand power, but still loud idling

3250 watt King Craft **For sale**

2550 watt Coleman (20 years-loud)

1000 watt ShopForce 2 stroke - sits under the Diesel in very cold weather (motor heat plus plugged in)