Portage/Marathon Counties

snowshoe

Rode yesterday from Wisconsin Rapids to Plover then up 15N to Weston, down through Pike Lake, Shantytown and Polonia on the way home. All those clubs along the way are doing a great job. The swamps will be a little rough until they are able to get the groomers through. Like elsewhere in the state the swamps are full of water and not freezing all that well. Ran into some slushy spots and even a small bit of running water but not a big deal. Noticeably more snow north of Hwy 10. If you're coming up I39 I would say Plover is about as far south as you'd want to start. Lots of options for trailer parking at Hwy 54 or Hwy B.

2017-01-12 10.45.05.jpg 2017-01-12 12.21.07.jpg 2017-01-12 12.23.19.jpg 2017-01-12 14.18.59.jpg 2017-01-12 15.40.08.jpg

First pick is NE of Point in the marsh. Second two are somewhere east of Mosinee on 15N. Fourth pic is pure heaven! First tracks on the Mountain Bay trail east of Weston. Last pick is near Pike Lake.

xcr440

And the trail goes right through their parking lots...... Nice trails in this area when they have snow! Hopefully they hold up for a while.

5 sled unloaded at the Kwik-Trip on 54 in Plover and rode north to the Weston area. I cannot believe we only saw like 10 sleds all day. Couldn't believe there wasn't a pile of sleds on the trails as they were in great condition. Hats off to the area clubs there. We will be back!

pauli18c

We started in Wausau and rode over to Neilsville. The trails were in AMAZING shape all day long (Friday and Saturday). They were just about as smooth at 9pm as they were at 9am. Plenty of snow and awesome groomer work. Everything was flat and hard. Bummer it's warming up now