Post Christmas --- Where are you riding?

600_RMK_144

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!!

Things are actually looking up for a post Christmas thru New Years trip. Where is everyone headed? Not looking for your super private honey hole, just general area if you have a trip planned. We are currently considering a return to Two Harbors + North or potentially Munising area (never been). Really try to avoid Northern UP as the traffic just seems terrible anymore and lots of rentals going out with riders that don't know how to ride a sled. Anyone have West trips planned? Sounds like they are going to get hammered with FEET of snow in the near future.

Where are YOU going?

chop

I did Munising with my wife about 8 years ago for new years and the conditions were terrible. I hear that the early season grooming is better there now but I still hesitate to go back.

Im heading to Land o lakes on the 27th with a friend. We arent concerned with conditions, just wanna get away for a bit.

racerx

I did Munising with my wife about 8 years ago for new years and the conditions were terrible. I hear that the early season grooming is better there now but I still hesitate to go back.

Im heading to Land o lakes on the 27th with a friend. We arent concerned with conditions, just wanna get away for a bit.
Hopefully we will be hitting the Lando trails on the opener to take a look-see as I need to do a little scouting for an upcoming event. Coming thru town tonite I saw the groomer went out east but has not been out west at least in my area but look to be rideable as then are all snow covered, I just can't speak for the base as I did not stop to check.

chop

Hopefully we will be hitting the Lando trails on the opener to take a look-see as I need to do a little scouting for an upcoming event. Coming thru town tonite I saw the groomer went out east but has not been out west at least in my area but look to be rideable as then are all snow covered, I just can't speak for the base as I did not stop to check.
Good to know. If the groomer is moving theres gotta be something to ride. Im more concerned about the traffic. If it gets busy, marginal conditions wont last long. I saw that bents had posted that the cisco chain will be marked today. Can always head to mi if the trails in wi go away.

goofy600

UP Thunder Riders (Watersmeet area) were out yesterday and panned everything areas which had a lot of sun are really thin other areas ok, really need the snow to come. Also if you get out watch out for trees down we have some areas that every time the wind blows some come down, my son and I spend 2 hours cleaning trail 13 between Cisco lake and trail 2 last night and this morning.

WorkHardPlayHrd

S.O.R.V.A Alger County report (this is Munising). Grooming on hold. They list things as fair to good for early conditions, but admitt that they got really hurt with the rain that came through. They have warnings on 3 trails. They took over about 6 or 7 years ago and trails did a big turn around. Their reports have been very on the mark since. We have been there multiple times in the last 4 years in February, March, and the first 2 weeks of April if snow holds up, and have never encountered the horrible conditions we faced in 2012 that made us vow to never go back. So they are saying rideable, but don't expect great conditions.

Grand Marais Snow Association on Facebook is reporting good early season riding.

catspaz8

With the Conditions that are there ( Land O Lakes ) today, buy extra carbides for sure. we were there 3 years ago between Christmas and New Years with very simialar conditions and we went thru Brand new carbides in one day on two sleds...

doofan1

Trailered to Munising today. Rode to Seney then towards Grand Maris and back to Munising. 145 miles. Most very good. A few water holes. In Town Munising trails not good at all but get out of town much better.
Quite a few trucks and trailers heading to town when we left. Might be a busy week

bearrassler

The NWS has us under a winter storm warning for 7 to 14 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow morning. If we get close to that I may just ride the streets of Grand Forks

600_RMK_144

Think we’ve decided on Two Harbors, MN area. Leaving in the morning if I can get these sleds pulled back together. It will be a late night wrenching. Lol!

SledTL

Heading up to Mora/Hinkley area on Saturday. Should be good to go after another couple inches tomorrow on top of the ~12" there now. Cass and Crow Wing county got pounded pretty good.