Pre-Warming Method Before Starting Cold Sled ?

parker

Sleds are in UNINSULATED Trailer through this Epic Arctic Blast.

Need some ideas on how to Get them Started after some very frigid days. Thinking along the lines of getting some type of heat source under the hood perhaps focused on the Y-Pipe Area. Above the Y-Pipe area is wires and plastic everywhere , so gotta be careful.
Just not very much room under the hood 600 Etec.

Light Bulb ..maybe ?

What works for you ?

snomoman

first thing to do is pull the recoil slowly a few times to somewhat loosen it up, then give it a couple of good strong pulls...believe it or not it usually will start.
My other sled is a 2003 Polaris xc600 liquid, in the 16,000 miles and many years, in the coldest of weather, it always started, once it starts, let it get good
and warmed up before riding it. if you have it in a trailer already, you are way ahead of the game already

srt20

I have never pre heated a snowmobile. Unless I just cannot get it to start, I cant imagine I ever will. I dont pre heat gasoline car engines either.

snowchief

This weekend a couple of the sleds in our group wouldn't start we ended putty ng a heat gun on the engine by the y pipe for a while worked well, we have used a hair dryer before too

snobuilder

I am switching over to Polaris extreme from the Klotz after a side by side comparo between 2 800 Poolaris' 800's. The one with Klotz needs a heat source....Heat gun pointed into engine bay with a blanket over hood or the torpedo heater for a good 15 minutes while the new sled with the VES Extreme cranks right over with the starter. New batteries in both. It was -20ish

homan

Take a battery pack made for jump starting. Keep it inside until time to use it. Sleds will start with a boost.

snowfish

Space heater inside the trailer. Warm up the whole thing.
Don't worry. At -20f, the space heater will not get hot enough to melt ice in an un-insulated trailer.
Did this last season when I still had the XF7000 4 stroke that wouldn't start colder than -10f.
Space heater in trailer all night. Temperature dropped to -25f over night and windy. Unplugged heater and drove 1 1/2 hrs, to the drop off site, at -20f most of the way.
Warmed up to -15f at the drop site. XF7000 coolant temperature was still at +25f. Space heater worked! Warmed up the entire sled, including the battery, and not just the engine.
Started like a summer day.

Triton Clam Shell trailer, storage covers on sleds, space heater between sleds to rear, warmer air blowing up under the covers.

I don't understand why BRP doesn't put recoils on the E-Tec motors, last year it was about -30 and we had three that wouldn't turn over, we jump started them, if they turn over they will start

There is a rope with a small clip in the tool kit. Wrap it around the clutch and pull. A 8 year old kid could do it. It’s beyond easy.

Last edited:

misty_pines

I don't understand why BRP doesn't put recoils on the E-Tec motors, last year it was about -30 and we had three that wouldn't turn over, we jump started them, if they turn over they will start

As Parker and Bearrassler mentioned, etecs with electric start don't come with recoils (dumb) but you can easily add and manual recoil if you want which is what I did on my 800 etec after it wouldn't start without a jump when it was -25 F one morning last year.

A battery pack worked great to start it so that is a good option to have with you if it's going to be well below zero.

old abe

These a rope with a small clip in the tool kit. Wrap it around the clutch and pull. A 8 year old kid could do it. It’s beyond easy.

Yep, X2! Once around wrap, and it's going @ -38f. No relay problems either, Yami's were a different deal all together. Jump pack needed. Guy was too cheap to replace the Doo battery until the next season? Go figure, eh?

sjb

Yup, relay issues on yami's, cat's and poo's if I recall correctly. Last week we had 4 out of 5 have issues. Warmed up the relay and good to go, did not even need to warm up the whole sled.

For the Skidoo guys, a buddy of mine's etec lost the e-start on the beginning of a 4 day backpack trip. He kept the tool kit rope in his hand and had his machine started just about as fast as the rest of us all weekend long. Very simply process.

old abe

Yup, relay issues on yami's, cat's and poo's if I recall correctly. Last week we had 4 out of 5 have issues. Warmed up the relay and good to go, did not even need to warm up the whole sled.

For the Skidoo guys, a buddy of mine's etec lost the e-start on the beginning of a 4 day backpack trip. He kept the tool kit rope in his hand and had his machine started just about as fast as the rest of us all weekend long. Very simply process.

It appears you could practically start a Etec with your hands. I don't think I could with the arthritis in my wrists.

towtruck

Space heater inside the trailer. Warm up the whole thing.
Don't worry. At -20f, the space heater will not get hot enough to melt ice in an un-insulated trailer.
Did this last season when I still had the XF7000 4 stroke that wouldn't start colder than -10f.
Space heater in trailer all night. Temperature dropped to -25f over night and windy. Unplugged heater and drove 1 1/2 hrs, to the drop off site, at -20f most of the way.
Warmed up to -15f at the drop site. XF7000 coolant temperature was still at +25f. Space heater worked! Warmed up the entire sled, including the battery, and not just the engine.
Started like a summer day.

Triton Clam Shell trailer, storage covers on sleds, space heater between sleds to rear, warmer air blowing up under the covers.

electric or propane space heater? sounds like a lot of juice either way, also kinda related, if u have a short windshield and you are riding 70mph in -25f temps, and u are bucking a 20mph headwind, what is the windchill factor? ( really, I don;t know how they calculate windchill #s)

euphoric1

I know a lot of us are seasoned and understand the benefits of prewarming a sled before you start it but for those that are new to the sport lets not forget the importance of warming the sled once it is started in weather like this which is more important than pre warming especially when you don't have the ability to keep it inside of a enclosed trailer or garage, to prevent 4 corner scoring or seizing as result of not allowing engine to warm once it is started

1fujifilm

Sleds are in UNINSULATED Trailer through this Epic Arctic Blast.

Need some ideas on how to Get them Started after some very frigid days. Thinking along the lines of getting some type of heat source under the hood perhaps focused on the Y-Pipe Area. Above the Y-Pipe area is wires and plastic everywhere , so gotta be careful.
Just not very much room under the hood 600 Etec.

Light Bulb ..maybe ?

What works for you ?

A little Heat in the tank can't hurt either.
That E-Tec should fire asap, never had issues. A little low rev riding can't hurt after you warm-up too, no grades right off the bat.

Bear

parker

Yep, Heet in the Tank pretty much always. Amount varies based on temps.

I have been searching YouTube for a vid I saw where they put a Hanging type Single Incandescent Bulb Shop light and rested it underneath the hood on the Y-Pipe, partially closed the hood to avoid anything melting and covering the hood with a blanket. Ahhh coulda been a hair dryer too .. (memory is the first thing to go )
But ... that was in pre Rev Chassis where the hood opened like a Big Mac box, with goo gobs of room to do cartwheels if needed. Not the Case with an XS.
Cannot find the Video or any reference through Google, maybe I dreamed it ?
I liked the idea when I saw it, but don't want to cause any other issues if that bulb should pop.

When we had our 500ss's - always pulled em over a few times to loosen up the piston and jug, before hitting the Estart. Will do the same with a rope to "move things" first.

1fujifilm

A little Heat in the tank can't hurt either.
That E-Tec should fire asap, never had issues. A little low rev riding can't hurt after you warm-up too, no grades right off the bat.

Bear

Just read the manual on my new 850 Doo and it says the RPM's may be reduced by the computer for up to 10 minutes if not completely warmed up.

Bear