project sleds

crskidoo

Looking for some help with finding a couple wrecked sleds. I have rebuilt a few in our group and thought maybe this summer I could buy and fix some others. Where do you look? What are some things to stay away from? Doesn't really matter what make or model just looking for a project. Thanks, Chris

jimfsr

You really have to know someone in the insurance industry. They have certain companies that they contact about sleds that get totaled. The companies bid on them and the high bidder wins. Otherwise you just have to be at the right place at the right time. I got a couple totals from folks, but I had to convince them to "buy it back" from the insurance co. The insurance co.s don't like to let the customers buy it back, so they kind of hide the fact that they can. In MI the customer always has the right to buy it back, I don't know about other states.
If you can make friends with a snowmobile salvage co. you might get them to look for something for you, if you are willing to pay what they think they can get by parting it out.

crskidoo

yeah checked out crashed toys.com $200 membership fee then $100 a year there after. Was curious actually if anyone has done bus. with them and if it was a good site.. Would like to know something about it before I invest $300. Thanks

You really have to know someone in the insurance industry. They have certain companies that they contact about sleds that get totaled. The companies bid on them and the high bidder wins. Otherwise you just have to be at the right place at the right time. I got a couple totals from folks, but I had to convince them to "buy it back" from the insurance co. The insurance co.s don't like to let the customers buy it back, so they kind of hide the fact that they can. In MI the customer always has the right to buy it back, I don't know about other states.
If you can make friends with a snowmobile salvage co. you might get them to look for something for you, if you are willing to pay what they think they can get by parting it out.

You don't "buy it back" from the insurance company, it's already yours. You take a lesser amount for the total claim. I'd get ahold of local dealers. They are usually the ones that have written estimates on sleds that are totals and possibly can hook you up with the owners. I know you can repair for alot less than the dealership, we just did a dealer estimate of $1200 for $450 with new parts on one of our personal sleds

jimfsr

The term "buy it back" is what the insurance folks understand. If your sled is written as a total, and you go ahead with the claim, they consider the sled "theirs". You need to tell them you want to "buy it back". Then yes, they cut you the check for the insured amount less what they would have gotten from the highest bidder if it were sold that way.
ex. Estimate written for $7500, the salvage folks offer $2400. You want to buy it back. You get a check for $5100 minus your deductable. If $100 deductable, you get $5000.
The trick is to convince the current owner to sell it to you for the $2400. although the deductable amount may be required too, to make the deal work. Most of the time, the owner just sees the potential $7400 check and says goodby to the sled. It may also depend on if he financed it, in which case he probably owes more on it than it is worth. I never finance, if you can't pay cash for your toys, you have no business owning them.
Nothing worse than paying for a snowmobile in the middle of summer, and a boat in winter.