200 min = 898.00
my buddy called today and its 7 bucks a gallon
and the lady said its gonna be 10 bucks a gallon next week
this is crazy
is there a shortage or what
what r u guys paying ???

Last edited:

whitedust

Buy any kind of electric heater you can find quartz would be best but can't be choosy or will pay thru the nose for LP. We are all conserving.... running temps very low,burning up our wood supplies then running electric hearters to take load off funance & LP useage. Also shortage of wood pellets so buy that electric heater ASAP.

coldbear

Paid $48.73 today to get 2/ 20# tanks filled for a cook out. This time last week it was $15.20 per tank. It's gone up $ 9.00 per tank in 7 days. Sucks. My propane dealer said that two pumping stations were down for repairs. Also a huge amount of gas was shipped West to dry the grains. It's the Perfect Storm and everyone is getting wet.

MZEMS2

I'm glad, I guess, that we have natural gas, but many co workers have been talking about it. I don't buy the whole "shortage" excuse. I call BS and say it's a way to gouge everyone and take advantage of people during the cold. Sure, there's extra transporting going on, but I don't buy the shortage thing. There's LP out there, it just takes a little more effort to make it as readily available. Go ahead and charge a fuel surcharge for the extra transporting costs, but doubling the cost, and more,????? EEHHHHH

Whats everybody paying or hearing on price for LP?
My shop n folks house was down to 20%, knew it was going to be warm yesterday so
called up wednesday price was $3.95 my guy said it went up .80 monday and another .70 wednesday.
Called back up to talk to him on friday it was up to $5.25 that was his cost!!! He said he needs another
.20 to cover his costs. I bet it will be over $6 next week.
It's nut and as usual us rual people take it in the shorts again.
Had 2 tanks filled to 60% cost me an extra $1,200 for 600 gallons.
And now we have another cold week ahead this coming week, but we are finnally getting enough snow to ride,
but whine whine 30 to 40 below windchilles takes the fun out of ridding.

snocrazy

$1.50 a gallon this past fall. If you fill up in summer - Fall and you don't have an issue. I have large enough of a tank to last the season. I dont understand the getting filled in the winter. Prices are always higher in winter. Is it only because of not having a large enough tank? Or is it just poor planning?
If you are get screwed on the contract pricing I understand the shock there.
Prices are still reasonable in the South. They should be filling semi tankers or trains and sending them to the areas that have a shortage. Seems pretty simple to solve this problem. If the lp companies did not benefit from this pricing I bet we would not be seeing this kind of insane pricing.

olsmann

Why don't folks pre buy? Or do the contract they send you in August? I'm capped at $1.69 a gallon thru April.

$1.50 a gallon this past fall. If you fill up in summer - Fall and you don't have an issue. I have large enough of a tank to last the season. I dont understand the getting filled in the winter. Prices are always higher in winter. Is it only because of not having a large enough tank? Or is it just poor planning?
If you are get screwed on the contract pricing I understand the shock there.
Prices are still reasonable in the South. They should be filling semi tankers or trains and sending them to the areas that have a shortage. Seems pretty simple to solve this problem. If the lp companies did not benefit from this pricing I bet we would not be seeing this kind of insane pricing.

They are having issues down south also,,the better halfs brother inlaw has been in Alabama hauling it for 2 months.It is not just cold up north it has been cold in the south also = more propane being used everywhere.I know guys that distribute it and haul it and they cant keep up with demand.Should it be short no it should not,,but fact is they cant get what they need to meet demands.And as we here with gasoline there is a reserve but once again our fine government will not release them,,imagine that.

hemi_newman

Why don't folks pre buy? Or do the contract they send you in August? I'm capped at $1.69 a gallon thru April.

Because some of us live on a single income and cant afford to pay it all in one lump some in the summer..not bashing you just saying. I might be done riding for the year because of propane prices.

vx700xtc

We have gas companies balking on pre pay price. They claim they have a clause if it is a (shortage) they dont have to honor pre pay price.

anonomoose

For those of you who use propane and think that this is just a blimp on the map, you better read this little article.

http://www.lpgasmagazine.com/cochin-reversal-project-creates-pipeline-pressures/

"Forty percent of Minnesota’s propane is brought in through the Cochin Pipeline, according to the Minnesota Propane Association’s (MPA) Roger Leider. That’s roughly 160 million annual gallons accessed from a single source.

Unfortunately for the propane industry in Minnesota, as well as the six other states that have direct access to Cochin, the pipeline will no longer be a supply option starting in mid-2014. Kinder Morgan Energy Partners LP, which runs the pipeline, is currently modifying Cochin to move light condensate westbound from a new terminal in Kankakee County, Ill. Kinder Morgan is connecting Cochin in Kankakee County to Explorer Pipeline Co.’s pipeline, and product will instead flow toward terminals near Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada.

Kinder Morgan announced an open season for the reversal project about 18 months ago"

This pipeline shut down was announced 18 months ago and began in December 2013. Bad timing? Why didn't they do this in July or August?

Granted that the corn crop was late and wet and needed more propane to dry, but this pipeline reversal could not have been planned at a worse time. Add to the mix that the winter has been cold so far, and you can see that a normally tight supply of the stuff has been exasperated by a shut down and reversal of flow.

So more to the point, unless the winter goes back to mild next year, prices will stay high and even affect those who contract well in advance of the mid winter spike. Liking $5 prices?

If you have ever thought about installing a wood burner, you have all the incentive you need to get it done YESTERDAY. Conversely if you think that there will be a run on wood burners....you are thinking ahead of the curve.

scottiking

UPCO electric isn't cheap either!
Just got my bill for my 700 sq ft shack in Twin Lakes,Mi -$652 bucks from Nov 15th -Jan 15th actual readings not an est!
I have new 220volt baseboard heat in each room with there own thermostat for each room!
I have an old propane freestanding furnace in the living room I was planing on using when I'm there but now re thinking that idea
That's $326 a month! My damn house payment with tax and ins is only $300 a month!
I have new windows and door and very well insulated! snow is banked up the walls and I have it at 40* all but about 7-8 days a month when I'm there!
Maybe I need to winterize it every time I leave? sux to do that tho!
Maybe shut it down and go back to renting!
Or.......... just keep getting ripped off like all the people that are full time locals!
BTW here in St Paul Mn at my full time house our gas and elect bill for this month was $221 bucks the month for a 5 BR house and I have a hot tub sitting at 102* in the snowbank in the backyard here!
How could that be?

Scottiking OUT

L

lenny

Because some of us live on a single income and cant afford to pay it all in one lump some in the summer..not bashing you just saying. I might be done riding for the year because of propane prices.

I hear you buddy and there are a lot of us in this situation, hang in there.

Woodtic

I shut the heat off when I leave my cabin. The way we set it up,it only takes 1/2 hour to do. I throw a few bucks to a local to turn the heat back on before I get up there. I am a pipe fitter by trade. If you need advise,pm me your number. It takes aprox 5 hours to recover.

fcat700

My opting to install a geothermal heat pump is looking to have been a good decision; the gas furnace hasn’t kicked on yet, this will surely speed up my payback.

L

lenny

I talked to a guy tonight who has had GT for just over 10 years now and loves it. he also said it didn't produce the saving it was all hyped up to be but still a better cost effective decision. he said a few years after install he had a switch installed to not let the furnace turn on if the GT cannot keep up with demand as it was occurring on super cold days. With this switch off he uses no gas whatsoever and the only downside is if it is so cold the GT cannot keep up he looses a few degrees on the stat. GT would be the bomb with super ultra tight home, so would wood if owner had resourced and time.

fcat700

I talked to a guy tonight who has had GT for just over 10 years now and loves it. he also said it didn't produce the saving it was all hyped up to be but still a better cost effective decision. he said a few years after install he had a switch installed to not let the furnace turn on if the GT cannot keep up with demand as it was occurring on super cold days. With this switch off he uses no gas whatsoever and the only downside is if it is so cold the GT cannot keep up he looses a few degrees on the stat. GT would be the bomb with super ultra tight home, so would wood if owner had resourced and time.

Our home is new, we just moved in this December so it's super tight. My GT has two stages and even with the cold weather stage one gets the job done with ease. The furnace would kick in if the inside temp dropped more than 3 degrees from the thermostat setting but that's not happened yet.

pfeifest

Got a price quote of $5.19 in Marshfield, WI last week. No thanks... I'll just turn down the heat.

This is just a price spike.. it'll be back to its normal range next summer.

dblshock

obviously this indusrty was deregulated with everything else back in the day, poor choice, time they revist it.