propane vs electric smoker

eagle1

Eagle1 - coming back to this - did you go for the Masterbuilt 30" smoker, and if so how is it working for you?

thx

-Saltyg

Yes i did, posted few pics farther up. So far working out great for me. Things I've done so far, lots of ribs of course and also whole chicken, baked beans, mac n cheese, turkey. That turkey turned out awesome!!

I did have to return the first unit as it was faulty right out of the box. So I was little nervous at first. They replaced it and new one runs fine. I used oven thermometer to check temps and mine is right on. Heard many people complain that there unit is off.

The other negative is the wood tray. Its small and fills up too fast. Tray is double walled so chips dont complety burn. Do get good smoke flavor but think it could be better.
Working on few fixes. Next time gonna try using a aluminum pan for the tray to see if get a better burn on the chips, plus pan is bigger to hold more for longer times.
You can also buy the cold smoker which attaches to smoker. It has a seperate element and holds 6 hrs worth of chips and heard work pretty well. I may eventuly pick one up but they're $70.

So all in all i like the unit, especially since i paid less than $200. But like most things you buy these days you useally need to re engineer something to make it better. LOL
Foods all turned out good though so I give it thumbs up.

ybpigs

Eagle1,
Where did you find the cold smoker that attaches to the smoker for $70? I have been thinking about doing this also.

ybpigs

Thanks.
I just ordered that exact one with free shipping and same price from Home Depot online. I figured if it didn't work properly I can just return it to their store. Hopefully it works good.

saltyg

So we finally went ahead with the Masterbuilt 30", bought from a Michigan Based large retailer... Got it home and out of the box and found out it had been dropped on one edge causing serious damage. Email to customer service went without reply..... so I called the manufacturer, who told me they would replace the body of the smoker (I'd have to swap over the racks, electronics, door etc) and to prove I had done it - I needed to cut the power cord and mail it to them with the ID plate. Really I did not want to trust them that if I cut the power cord that they would come thru with sending over the new smoker cabinet body.
So another call today and I think I talked them into making their move first, as I explained I did not want to totally junk the one I had without having the new one here.
So after all this time, nothing smoked yet except my patience.

Bwill

check these out, I'm a member of the first site, weber's site, and also I'm ordering the kettle pizza thing.

www.tvwbb.com
www.kettlepizza.com

m8man

Sorry for bumping this, but thanks, man. I've been looking for the pizza oven and I'm kinda lost. I can't choose between kettle thing and Blackstone (looks like this). The first one is electric and the other one works on propane. I don't have any issues with using electric ones indoors, but I'm tempted to try the propane one at my backyard.

Last edited:

snocrazy

/i have a kettle pizza set up that I want to sell. Used maybe 3 times. I have gone propane wit a pronto outdoor pizza cooker oven.

snoluver1

Just got done smoking ribs on my $90 dollar Char-Griller. It's a bit more hands on and blows through a lot of fuel. Call me crazy but in my opinion there's just something about the flavor of smoking on lump charcoal and real wood chunks that pellets and propane can't replace?
IMG_20190902_154040.jpg View attachment 60596

Attachments

• IMG_20190902_162719.jpg
    IMG_20190902_162719.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: