Propane

whitedust

Have not gotten into this yet but on my mind..... Thinking I can wait a bit for cooler temps then pound 800+gallons in the 1000 gallon tank. Calling for mid 80s all next week which is bit strange for September in the northwoods. Luv Fall temps & color change up here!

shift08

Just called today, 68 cents a gallon in central Wisconsin if you own your own tank .499 gallons or more 63 cents .

snocrazy

prices have been around 1$ here.
I know I will be burning more Propane this winter with the prices down.
Let the wood stock pile grow...

zltim

And for some reason, the pellets around here are higher then ever. Sounds like a stupid marketing move to me. I will not be burning pellets this winter as well as some of my friends. $.84 on summer buy and $1.04 locked in.

scottiking

I paid $1.39 a Gal in July from Keweenaw for the Shack in Twin Lakes! last week my neighbors paid $1.29
I wish it was $1.09!!!
I dont care tho cause My electric heat for an 800 sq foot well insulated shack was $325 a month to heat it 8 days a month to 69 degrees and 50 the other days!
I hope this new propane furnace saves me some dough
Elect in the Yoop is a rape!
Scottiking OUT

favoritos

Everything is priced lower except pellets and electric. How does that work? Both are effected by input costs that have gone lower.

Woodtic

If I bring the tank to them, 30 lb,50 lb, 100 lb ect. They will fill it for 75 cents a gal. .???? All my tanks are at 75% it's cheaper than wood that you cut yourself.

whitedust

If I bring the tank to them, 30 lb,50 lb, 100 lb ect. They will fill it for 75 cents a gal. .???? All my tanks are at 75% it's cheaper than wood that you cut yourself.
Exactly the same thing I was thinking burn LP save wood for next year....crazy!

D

Deleted member 10829

Everything is priced lower except pellets and electric. How does that work? Both are effected by input costs that have gone lower.

I'm guessing it's EPA regulation costs that are doing it. Obummer warned us electric rates would have to rise dramatically.

old abe

I can hear what you are saying. I irrigate and was going to switch to electricity from diesel for cost and ease of operation. There were costs involved for me to do this switch over, but was looking long term. How ever I was told to check into it a little more before doing so by several people in the know. What I discovered thru good independent sources was that electricity cost is going to be rising for sometime. One of the reasons, and there are many, is our "nuc" generating stations are "aged out" Many are past the intended life span. This make them more costly to operate.Then there is spent fuel storage, and what to do with it. I have a close friend who is employed on a refueling team. I can remember when the "nuc" plant close to use was built. We were told when it came on line, electricity cost would come down. Never happened. We heard every excuse imaginable, except profits. Costs steadily when up. That was in early 1970's. Seems things change, but stay the same?

G

G

Finally stumbled on a used 1000 gallon tank in good shape. Been looking for 3 years. Bought 1200 gallons to fill both the 1000 and 500 for .89 cash. Was down to 4% in the 500 so couldn't wait any longer. My delivery guy said the price will probably creep up when the heating season starts. At these prices I will wait a while to fire the wood.

whitedust

Finally stumbled on a used 1000 gallon tank in good shape. Been looking for 3 years. Bought 1200 gallons to fill both the 1000 and 500 for .89 cash. Was down to 4% in the 500 so couldn't wait any longer. My delivery guy said the price will probably creep up when the heating season starts. At these prices I will wait a while to fire the wood.

How much did you pay for used 1000 gallon tank and how old? I'm trying to find one as well to purchase

G

G

How much did you pay for used 1000 gallon tank and how old? I'm trying to find one as well to purchase

It is thirty years old. It has all been completely rebuilt with new valves and pressure fittings and gauge. And new paint. I repainted it green and stuck it out in a tree row to disguise it a little bit. 1400 bucks. It will last me the rest of my days.

whitedust

It is thirty years old. It has all been completely rebuilt with new valves and pressure fittings and gauge. And new paint. I repainted it green and stuck it out in a tree row to disguise it a little bit. 1400 bucks. It will last me the rest of my days.

I was looking at an 18 year old 1000 gallon tank for $1000 and I thought that was high. What is the lifetime of a 1000 gallon tank?

G

G

In these parts 1000's are really hard to come by. All the farmers are after them for their dryers. I don't know the average life. I would think they would last quite awhile as long as they don't get rusty and a person keeps up with the few moving parts there are. I bought mine through a local co-op. 20 years ago the things used to run a buck per gallon new. That is $500 for a 500 gallon and $1000 for a 1000 gallon etc. That was before steel went way up. The 1000 gallon tank weighs about a ton empty. There is a lot of steel in these things. When I was moving it around with my loader I was a little surprised just how much mass was there. At first I thought there was still some LP in it but it was bone dry. If you can find a certified used one for $1000 buy it. But make sure it is certified or nobody can legally fill it. That is the way it is here in Minny anyway.