Question on buying a vintage sled

elf

This may be a dumb question but as I was driving down the road by my house the other day I saw three older sleds behind a persons shed. There were 2 TXL 340's and a older Ski Doo. I really wanted a TXL back when I was in Jr High as another kid had one. No idea if they are used or not anymore, if they run or not, or if the person would have any desire to part with one. Should I just drive up the driveway and knock on the door or what? What would any of you vintage sled guys do? The only reason I saw them is there's no leaves on the trees now and I happened to notice them. Thanks!

sweeperguy

I would door knock to find out. I've heard of sleds being given to a guy that shows interest. Of course not me every time I ask people they think they're worth classic car money. But no harm in asking.

chords

,, Don't go a knockin. No need to spook anyone. Its spring. Catch em out in the yard THEN drive up n be smooth about it.

skiroule

I actually know a guy that does this all the time. He and his wife take road trips to small towns and just drive around looking for old sleds in the yards. Every so often he runs into people that don't want the sleds but just don't want to go to the trouble of advertising, showing, etc. or there is simply not much local market. As far as I know, he doesn't have any bullet holes.

mrbb

I would stop and knock on the door , mid day on a weekend and see what happens,
as I know what its like when your in the middle of doing something and folks walk up[ to ask, ,
so, maybe just knock on the door as I said, mid day, on a weekend, when folks maybe are NOT as busy!
who know's maybe you will get the owners wife and she will GIVE them away while husband is at work LOL
don't laugh I had a few deals like this over the yrs, seem some wives don't value yard clutter as much as some men do !

Got a LOT of older farm things this way too!

helps to NOT show up in a really expensive vehicle too, as doing so seems to drive prices up !,