question on Go-Pro or that type

dab102999

After this last week of being up for a ride in that cold I have a question on the Go-Pro's or that type of camera. Can you set that to take stills instead of video on time delay..or can you easily take the video and take stills out of it. I was only able to take maybe 20 or 30 pics because it was just to dang cold to take off the gloves all the time and take pics....not to mentions some things I came up apon and didn't have time to get a camera out (Eagle eating a kill right on the side of the trail___and that was real cool).

snowdance

I know there is a mode it can go in and instead of video it'll continuously take pics. Kind of defeats the purpose though. It's also possible to get stills from the video as long as your video editor allows frame by frame.

ezra

dont know all the specs on the go pro but I do know when using the optional remote it burns battery life fast .
and if u dont have the remote u are fumbling around unsure what mode u are in if it is recording etc etc
I have had them all and I can say imho the liquid image goggle is the only way to go U can take stills and video and with your gloves on.
led red and blue light in the goggle tells u if u are in stand by mode for recording or for stills and flashing if shooting .
not to mention I have not had them tore off my helmet like the others I have owned.

- - - Updated - - -

elk I have not been on to check did u loose your video on the contour site after they went under? I had gotten wind they were folding so I put all my stuff I had stored on there site on a disk

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've pretty much given up on taking stills with the Video Cam. It's just too much fumbling with cold hands and those tiny switches. Currently I use my small Digital Camera for the stills and let the Video Cam roll. And yes, we all miss some great pics, usually of wildlife. When I'm back home at the computer I can download both cameras and mix the stills with the video during the editing process. An example would be in the following link from our Club Ride from a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VSasJoD2YU

T

Team Elkhorn

- - - Updated - - -

elk I have not been on to check did u loose your video on the contour site after they went under? I had gotten wind they were folding so I put all my stuff I had stored on there site on a disk

I never got too involved with the Contour program because it was Apple based, they say it was compatible with windows but I had some issues. I stored most of my stuff on the computer, and clean out the files from time to time. I keep the videos worth saving backed up on disk or Youtube.

dekx

All I've used is Contour. Very simple to use and it will take stills without any issues and I download all to windows based programs with no issues at all. Pictures come out perfect! I've used it on snowmobile, boat, jetski, and snowmobile with no issues at all.

2TrakR

I have a few different Contours, but those [models I've used] only did video. I liked them for size and simplicity. I planned to get their GPS version until they went effectively out of business.

Now have a Garmin Virb Elite which does video or stills. It's pretty big compared to the Contour, but way smaller than the GoPros.

Have friends that have other "no name" helmet cameras that do video and stills, don't have a brand to suggest though.

The Garmin has a GPS in it (the Elite model, the regular does not) and it will provide location information for the video. It also, and the reason that I bought it, will geotag the still photos so you can see exactly where the photo was taken.

You can set the camera to take a still every x seconds and it works pretty good. The battery is replaceable, so you could run it all day with a spare battery. I was getting about four hours of stills or about 3500 photos at every 5 seconds.

Lots of neat shots with the timed still capture, like this deer that popped out to see what I was doing in its woods.

DeerXing.jpg

srobak

All the major cams do still frame extraction from the rolling video - GoPro, HD Drift and Contour - among others. Yes you can also set them to do time-lapse stills instead - very good for capturing things like Northern Lights, sunrise/sunset, earth rotation, plant growth, etc. Of the 3 listed above - probably the best bang for the buck is the HD Drift - which can be had for under 200, includes a remote control, on-body display screen and a rotatable sensor core - so you have extremely flexible mounting (ie: you can mount the body crooked, then rotate the core & lens so it is shooting straight.)

All 3 shoot beautiful & clear footage - but you want to try to avoid going with too wide of a field of view - otherwise you get a heavily exaggerated fish-eye effect, which straightens curvy trails & roads, and gives the impression of things going much slower than they really are.

Rusun

Banned
Hello everybody! I can't figure it out... I must convert some audio files and now I'm trying to figure out how to do it better. If using this tool here it's the online file converter. Will it be the only good decision?