Question on Norway Spruce trees

longtrack

White Pine do get "Blister rust" it usually forms on a Branch and moves into the Trunk like Cancer.
If you cut the Branch off before it moves into the Trunk, that usually stops it.
If we see a dead branch on a WP we always cut it off.

WP grow almost as fast as Norway Spruce.

uncle_ed

Im not sure of your spacing constraints but if your thinking norways than you probably have a decent area to work with. I did the same thing about 20 some years ago and opted for white pines since they are fast growing and last forever. (almost). Here are a couple of pics to compare. I took a pics a few years after they were established and one today 2-19-22. The deer never bothered them but they do have needles that turn brown every couple years and then fall off but they regrow so no worries. I planted about 20 trees thinking maybe half would survive but ill be darned if all them didnt! I am about ready to take out the first row as they are getting close to the barn. old 502 (Medium).JPG image0.jpeg

jjj70095

Am talking with a landscaper who can do a project next summer, they are recommending 5 staggered Black Hill Spruce...staggered... deer resistant, and thick at the bottom............this is what i could find as sample pics...any input would be appreciated

dfattack

Am talking with a landscaper who can do a project next summer, they are recommending 5 staggered Black Hill Spruce...staggered... deer resistant, and thick at the bottom............this is what i could find as sample pics...any input would be appreciated

“Deer resistant”. From my experience if the deer are starving and it’s green they eat it…if we planted it!

whitedust

I planted Black Hills Spruce in both Vilas and Racine counties. I like them a lot nice shaped pine trees but need water first 3 years or so. The deer don’t eat them and grazed in my lot but didn’t bother the Black Hills. Black Hills do well but don’t grow fast so don’t over expect on growth. Probably 6 to 8 inches at first might do 10 when established but nothing comparable to white pine and balsam.

jjj70095

How often did you have to water the Black Hill Spruce after they were planted? How tall were they when planted and how tall now? How wide are they now?

dfattack

Based on where you are planting them I’m going to assume the soil is sandy or mostly sand. If that’s true water more often. Keep root ball moist for the first several weeks and possibly the first growing season depending on rainfall rates and temps. If the soil is mostly clay or partial clay where drainage isn’t too good then water less often. Pines don’t like to be flooded. Black hills are good but like all pines and evergreens they need sun

whitedust

The Black Hills in Vilas have to be 10 plus feet tall probably 3 foot when planted. I watered those with well water and hose in July and August when it was dry wasn’t a big deal up there up there with cool nights. The 5 I planted here in Waterford were watered via lake sprinkler every night June thru early September but we are in a massive drought probably 14 plus inches behind in rain. I prefer Black Hills over other pine trees imo they look like classic Xmas trees full shape dense branches excellent screens.

jjj70095

So how many hours a day do they need to be watered? If I plant 3, I assume I can get a water diverter switch with 3 hoses, one for each tree. I do have a water timer. I am going to try and get 8ft or higher trees. So they dont need to grow too much....The goal is maybe 12-18 feet.

dfattack

Deep thorough watering once per day is fine for the first few weeks. After that just use your fingers to check the root ball to keep it moist and water as needed to keep it moist. NOT saturated or flooded

uncle_ed

If you go with larger trees than regular and thorough watering is very important. I tried a couple of times prior to planting the white pines without success and attributed it to drought years and it being a seasonal home and just not enough water for them. (some spots not enough sun as well) I did finally use a timer and soaker hose for these close enough to the house and watered the trees daily through the first summer and they took. Time of year is critical as well......early, early or late, late in the planting seasons are recommended. The local co-op has seedlings every spring and that is what I used but then it takes a few years to enjoy them so do not hesitate!

uncle_ed

When the frost is out of the ground till the end of april in the spring and end of sept-october in the fall. Out of the summer heat and in the rainy seasons but still warm enough for growth. I think watering is the key if you can. There is argument that fall is the best time to plant but I think it depends more on that particular year and varies from year to year. Spring worked for me! Good info here

dfattack

Anytime works but fall is my favorite because you water it in heavy at first and if planted in the cool temps you can almost plant it and forget about it till spring. Make sure you have a wet spring or you may have to water a little. Most of the time I don’t. I planted a couple of trees last fall and watered them in and that was it. Much easier in my opinion.