Radar base sold?

snomoman

Maybe it’s just me but my iPhone won’t open up either one of those attachments, kind of curious where this is, is it by the old airbase in Gwinn Michigan?

frnash

Maybe it’s just me but my iPhone won’t open up either one of those attachments, kind of curious where this is, is it by the old airbase in Gwinn Michigan?
Check out this "Radar base near Gratiot Lake" thread from Past-E-Mail: Cam Notes - 2005: May: May 22-05: https://tinyurl.com/u5ywte34 — See my note therein "By FRNash/PHX, AZ (Frnash) on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 11:04 pm:" For a direct link to the Air Defense Radar Museum records for the former Calumet AFS.

Last edited:

bayfly

Sorry but I cannot get the link to the article to work properly. If you Google the "Michigan Upper Peninsula radar base sold" you should see the article. This is the radar base near Phoenix, Michigan.

frnash

looks like a cool place to visit on a sled, or is it all marked no trespass?
I'm not sure about its current status, but it definitely has been marked "NO TRESPASSING", enforced with the sheriff's surveillance cameras and active response to trespassers.

eao

There has been  a lot of vandalism there over the years so tread lightly....

bayfly

It is an interesting place, and more than a bit creepy to see all the abandoned houses that do not look very old at all. The investment needed to turn that into some kind of tourist attraction would be substantial. Although if it became a snowmobile camp just some paint and a few windows would probably do, as long as one of the buildings could be converted to a bar/restaurant. I am just curious to know what kind of tourist attraction this will become. It is an attraction already, for some folks.