Ram Owners Tow Vehicle - How's the V6 Pentastar ? The V8 ? The Tranny ?

parker

I'm researching for Tow Vehicle Purchase, sledding seasons over for us, and figured I'd ask for some assistance. Currently Tow a Two Place Clam 12' Triton approx. 2,000lbs loaded. No biggie you can tow that with a moped.
I aspire to perhaps step up to a 3-Place Alum In-Line Enclosed even though it's only Me and the Mrs. two sleds. That said going to increase the Loaded trailer weight to 3,000 Lb +.

Been looking at the Rams and based off the specs the V6 Pentastar w3:55 Rear End Max Loaded Trlr Weight is 7,400lbs (3:21 Rear End 4,410lbs) Sounds ok for what I'm going to do , the ol' "sounds good on paper" with the 3:55 seeming the better choice. Right ?

Of course the V8 Hemi is rated 8,500lbs Loaded trlr weight which is even better. Right ? , right.

EXPERIENCED late model 2015 And newer Ram Owners input would be appreciated.

Don't wanna try to save $3k dollars ... get the V6 " because the specs say it'll do it" , only to hopefully not find out the HARD Way ... Hey I should've bought a V8.

Ohio Cat

I'm researching for Tow Vehicle Purchase, sledding seasons over for us, and figured I'd ask for some assistance. Currently Tow a Two Place Clam 12' Triton approx. 2,000lbs loaded. No biggie you can tow that with a moped.
I aspire to perhaps step up to a 3-Place Alum In-Line Enclosed even though it's only Me and the Mrs. two sleds. That said going to increase the Loaded trailer weight to 3,000 Lb +.

Been looking at the Rams and based off the specs the V6 Pentastar w3:55 Rear End Max Loaded Trlr Weight is 7,400lbs (3:21 Rear End 4,410lbs) Sounds ok for what I'm going to do , the ol' "sounds good on paper" with the 3:55 seeming the better choice. Right ?

Of course the V8 Hemi is rated 8,500lbs Loaded trlr weight which is even better. Right ? , right.

Don't wanna try to save $3k dollars ... get the V6 " because the specs say it'll do it" , only to hopefully not find out the HARD Way ... Hey I should've bought a V8.

Driving a '16 v8 hemi and tow a 3 place inline neo trailer. 2 sleds inside. 3.92 set up. Zero issues pulling the trailer but getting around 9-10 mpg. Hemi engine is amazing as is the 8 speed transmission.

laugy

I have a 2016 hemi. Pulling a 28ft neo with 4 or 5 sleds. No problems for engine or trans. If I did not have a larger trailer I would have looked at the v6. Test drove one and was very impressed. The other factor to check into would be resale especially if you are buying not leasing.

srt20

Not a Ram, but we have a durango with V6 and 8 sp trans and it tows my SxS on trailer fine. Its about 2500lbs total trailer and SxS. Durango weighs over 5k, and has 3.39 gears.

1fujifilm

I agree with Ohio Cat, I own a 16 Ram 4x4 quad cab with Hemi and 3.92 and this is "one of the best" and "much better than any truck with a 6-speed transmission" set up for 4,000 lbs. I buy new truck each year and others are better at some things but the Ram Hemi/8 speed is awesome.
We must remember, it is not only the weight of the load but the damn trailer height etc. I have a 23 foot aluminum enclosed with a 6.6 height to fit UTV'S and it makes the tow harder on the truck.

Bear

- - - Updated - - -

Not a Ram, but we have a durango with V6 and 8 sp trans and it tows my SxS on trailer fine. Its about 2500lbs total trailer and SxS. Durango weighs over 5k, and has 3.39 gears.

My wife has the same set up in her 16 Grand Cherokee and pulling is fine under 60 MPH, try towing at 70+ and the thing cant keep the speed up.

Bear

chunk06

I would blue book the identical trucks except for v6 vs v8 as they were 3 years old and see if the Hemi is worth paying for. In the past the small engines lose out on resale. A light foot with the V8 and 8sp gets pretty good MPG. I have a 16 2500 Ram, I really like it.

HIGHLANDER

i only have 7 words to say... ill never tow with a gasser again...spend the extra$$$ and look into the cummins or ecodiesel even if its overkil, you wont regret it

Black7

Buy more "truck" than you think you'll need, within reason, and you want be disappointed. I've had diesel trucks before. They are great for pulling anything above a two place trailer. You don't want to get stuck struggling to tow if you buy a travel trailer within a few years.

longtrack

I have a standard 6 cyl gas in my 1500 crew cab 2016 Dodge. I pull a 25' stealth 101 wide with 4 sleds "4 strokes" I climb the big hill north of Bruce crossing at 60 mph. Why would anybody waist Money buying a Hemi or a stinky Diesel to pull Snowmobiles.

There's a reason the gas peddle goes down to the Floor.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Because with a diesel, you don't have to put the gas pedal to the floor to climb military hill pulling a trailer. :)

warner

i went the other way...from a diesel to a gas.
had a cummins 6speed manuel dodge 2500 awesome truck for yanking anything around but not a 4 door..now run a ram 4500 chassis cab with custom flatbed a 6.4 hemi and 6 speed auto tranny plenty of power but she drinks.i can haul 7 longtracks tho when the enclosed trailer is strapped to it..the new diesels add way to much cost to a truck that i only use for camping and snowmobiling. and diesel is always more per gallon than gasoline.back when i bought my 2500 diesel was always less than gasoline .

longtrack

Because with a diesel, you don't have to put the gas pedal to the floor to climb military hill pulling a trailer. :)

I drove Diesel Trucks for years and never took my foot off the Floor. If I have to put my foot on the Floor to climb one little Hill in the UP with my 6 cyl gas Truck that's ok. I will keep the thousands of Dollars I save in my Pocket. When I unhook the Trailer I get the same mileage as a Diesel Pickup and way more than a Hemi.

If I have to Pull a Skid Loader up Military Hill I will use one of the Diesels we have here. A little 25' Aluminum Trailer with some Snowmobiles I will use my new Dodge 6 cyl. If you haven't driven one of these new Trucks with the 6 cyl Motor, please don't comment because you don't know what your talking about.

sjb

Not really mentioned much hear, but going from a side by side trailer to an inline will be about equal force, pulling wise. When I when to my inline, my mpg did not change, but the effort to pull sure went down. The inline simply was easier to pull with a lot less shifting going on to stay at a constant speed.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
I drove Diesel Trucks for years and never took my foot off the Floor. If I have to put my foot on the Floor to climb one little Hill in the UP with my 6 cyl gas Truck that's ok. I will keep the thousands of Dollars I save in my Pocket. When I unhook the Trailer I get the same mileage as a Diesel Pickup and way more than a Hemi.

If I have to Pull a Skid Loader up Military Hill I will use one of the Diesels we have here. A little 25' Aluminum Trailer with some Snowmobiles I will use my new Dodge 6 cyl. If you haven't driven one of these new Trucks with the 6 cyl Motor, please don't comment because you don't know what your talking about.

Lol, I was just yanking yer chain. I have the same 3.6 v6 in my 2012 chrysler 200, but ione makes 283 hp, not 305 like what's in the truck. Ram has a great deal going on right now for a lease on the quad cab 4x4 with the v6. 199 a month.

parker

All excellent comments so far.

How bout some Longevity reports on the Newer Rams V6,V8, 8-Speed Tranny .. Who's got 100K + miles on or better .

dusty17

I have a 15' Ram 1500 Tradesman Express with the HEMI. Best truck for towing I have ever owned I typically only pull a 2 place sno pro trailer but have towed my buddy's 4 place steel frame and the HEMI with the 8spd tranny is the best combination. I also pull a 25' 5th wheel camper and it just does it all with ease. Very pleased with it. Also get 17-20mpg unloaded if I'm nice to it on a regular basis

parker

I have a standard 6 cyl gas in my 1500 crew cab 2016 Dodge. I pull a 25' stealth 101 wide with 4 sleds "4 strokes" I climb the big hill north of Bruce crossing at 60 mph. Why would anybody waist Money buying a Hemi or a stinky Diesel to pull Snowmobiles.

There's a reason the gas peddle goes down to the Floor.

Longtrack - What Axle Ratio with your V6 ?

ragex2

if you buy the v6, the first time you tow,bucking a headwind uphill, you'll sound like a juice commercial "i coulda had a V8" ....i own a 2010 w/ hemi, 5 speed.and 3.92axel.....works great and new ones probably better. trucks are alot of money, buy what you want/need and you won't regret it

Cat600

V6 seems like it's made more for getting mpg, not really for towing IMO. And with turbos towing I would stay away from, that's like a $3000 price tag when the turbo blows.

My '13 Ram, 3.55 gears, 6 speed with a v8 Hemi pulls my 20' Stealth enclosed just fine driving around Wisconsin hills. Average of 11mpg.

As others have said get more truck than what you need. It'll help in the end.