Rear Suspension Sag

docs_88

Just had the rear shock in my Fusion 600 re-charged but the rear suspension still sags about 6" or more without me on the sled. It's not up on dolly's and is sitting flat on the cement. Any ideas??

uncle_ed

I would look and see if the spring adjustor block is missing or the springs are broken or weak

Last edited:
Just had the rear shock in my Fusion 600 re-charged but the rear suspension still sags about 6" or more without me on the sled. It's not up on dolly's and is sitting flat on the cement. Any ideas??

Just re-charged??? I would recommend an enitre re-seal and new oil.

docs_88

I asked the dealer to re-build it when I brought it in. When I asked him after the fact he said that he just re-charged it and that the shock is not what holds the suspension up in that position anyways. I have the blocks set on the stiffest setting and the sled has about 3700 miles on it. Could the springs be bad already??

srt20

The suspension is supposed to sag. Its designed that way. Mine does the same thing. 08 IQ 700. And yes, shocks do not hold up any suspension on any vehicle, other than air shocks.

rp7x

fat boy springs

put the heaver polaris rear springs on the low seting , it will take half the sag away did this on my rmk

srt20

It should sag a little but it shouldn't fall on itself with NO weight on it should it?

To be honest I never measure the sag with no weight on it. 6" does sound a bit excessive. But my sled does fall with no weight on it. If you pick the rear bumper up til the shock stops and the track starts to come off the ground, and then you set it down, not mashing it, but not super gentle either, my sled will fall at least 2-3". I cant remember if it falls much more than that though. I have 6200 miles on my springs, and I ride pretty hard, and I weigh 235lbs without gear. And my springs are fine. I have the rear torsion set on high right now, but that is for handling not bump stop. My sled doesnt bottom cuz of the rear springs, it bottoms cuz of the front track spring, which I have as low as it can go. The rear bumper sags from ride height, 3-4" once I set on the seat. Which is right where I want it. And that is actually what polaris wants it to do also. Dont worry about any other sag. Just when you sit on it.

Yes a shock does "help" hold the suspension up. Take the shock right out and see what happens. So if the shock is blown right out that could be why you are getting excessive sag. I'm thinking like srt said you should only have 2-3" of sag with no weight and 4 more inches after you sit on the seat.

lvr1000

reminds me...

This post "Rear Suspension Sag" reminds me of a post many rears ago asking for help. The attached photo showed an "old Cat" with a 325 plus lb guy:eek: sitting on it. Any one have a copy of that, I still LMAO thinking of that one. :)

indyxcr

You need to get new rear springs, Polaris always has soft springs in the rear made for 150 lb person or less, I weigh 220 I always order the strong square springs from Polaris, they are good for a 300 lb person even, this saves your shocks, then you can set your shocks to soft or medium and have a great ride.

Even the new 2011 800 Rush,
I ordered the strong rear springs, switched out from the start.

Also 2 years ago I had problems with the 2009 dragon it had soft springs it sucked, switch out to stronger square springs the sled was great, I thought the walker shocks were bad but it was the weak springs.

Even back on the 700 I wore out the fox shocks, in 2 years, had to buy new shocks and springs, Polaris needs to have an option soft square springs, or stiff square springs.

There's no difference in weight maybe a 1/2 pound for both with the stiffer springs.

If you get the the new springs put it on the med setting, then the next year high setting, this gets all the sag out after the first year of ridding, and then the springs brake in perfect.

This is the fix for your sled I learned 26 years of sleding.

xc700LP

Yes a shock does "help" hold the suspension up. Take the shock right out and see what happens. So if the shock is blown right out that could be why you are getting excessive sag. I'm thinking like srt said you should only have 2-3" of sag with no weight and 4 more inches after you sit on the seat.

shocks don't hold the suspensions up the springs do that, that is why you have sag b/c the stock springs are not stiff enough, coil over shocks are the only ones that "help" hold a sled up

tedsnotdead

you guys make me head hurt arguing about spring or shock, go to jpwhite motorsports in saratoga wyoming and that is where i found the rear suspension kit that they call the fat boy ride. I put that in and have not had any issues with my 2004 700 edge, which is now my sons, and i am no small guy, i weigh about 310 without gear on. overall i payed more than four hundred dollars, but worth every penny to me

indyxcr

You could have saved a lot of money, The Polaris stiff square springs, $150.00 for any sled friend weighs 320 works great also, high setting for him, med setting for me I weigh 220. At least you have something that works.
Like I said, the best shocks money can buy, are no good if you have weak or soft springs.

I know I have spent hundreds of dollars on each shock, for the best.

The walker evans shocks blow away the fox shocks they don't even come close to performance.

Willis

Banned
You could have saved a lot of money, The Polaris stiff square springs, $150.00 for any sled friend weighs 320 works great also, high setting for him, med setting for me I weigh 220. At least you have something that works.
Like I said, the best shocks money can buy, are no good if you have weak or soft springs.

I know I have spent hundreds of dollars on each shock, for the best.

The walker evans shocks blow away the fox shocks they don't even come close to performance.

X2! On walker Evans shocks they work great on my sled
Later yo!

shocks don't hold the suspensions up the springs do that, that is why you have sag b/c the stock springs are not stiff enough, coil over shocks are the only ones that "help" hold a sled up

Well here at my snowmobile shop they "help" hold suspension up. Like I said take your shock OUT and see what happens. Just trying to help the guy not trying to argue with shade tree mechanics.