Rear Suspension Sag

docs_88

Took it for a ride last night and it felt really sloppy at times. I think it may be a combination of the shocks not being re-built like I asked and the springs. Although at 195 lbs I'm not sure I need the super stiff springs. I ride fairly aggressively when I get the chance but you won't find me entering a snowcross race. Heard a lot of good things about the Walker Evans shocks. What is an average cost for the rear shock(s)

Willis

Banned
Well here at my snowmobile shop they "help" hold suspension up. Like I said take your shock OUT and see what happens. Just trying to help the guy not trying to argue with shade tree mechanics.

Over here in Wisconsin at my sled shop with my shocks out for rebuild my springs are holding my suspension up, maybe there is more of a gravitational pull in MI. What's a shade tree mechanic? I asked my friend who is a sled and ATV dealer and he has never heard of a shade tree mechanic.

Over here in Wisconsin at my sled shop with my shocks out for rebuild my springs are holding my suspension up, maybe there is more of a gravitational pull in MI. What's a shade tree mechanic? I asked my friend who is a sled and ATV dealer and he has never heard of a shade tree mechanic.

Must be

rp7x

no shocks

xc 700 lp's mod build is sitting in my yard with no shocks on the rear it sits way tall ps: not any shade this time a year, the heavy springs are only .02 thicker

srt20

xc 700 lp's mod build is sitting in my yard with no shocks on the rear it sits way tall ps: not any shade this time a year, the heavy springs are only .02 thicker

x2.

235lbs without gear here, I ride aggressive, and I dont need fat boy springs. And my sled has 6200 miles. Not a shade tree mechanic here either. Years working as a auto mechanic, and owning and driving for my own sucessful race car team, I can tell you, shocks do NOT hold up a suspension. But hey its your story.......

docs_88

OK....decided to go with new springs and a shock re-build in the back. Had a guy recommend that I go with one standard torsion spring and one heavy for a guy my size. 195lbs. Thoughts?? Anyone ever tried a set up like this??

indyxcr

That's crazy he's an idiot, both springs need to be the same, or you will bend your suspension.
You need the stiffer springs put in leave the springs on the soft setting since you weigh 195, then set your shocks between soft and hard what ever gives you the best ride.

indy_500

OK....decided to go with new springs and a shock re-build in the back. Had a guy recommend that I go with one standard torsion spring and one heavy for a guy my size. 195lbs. Thoughts?? Anyone ever tried a set up like this??

I would just put your stock springs on the stiffest setting. You don't weigh that much at all, heck, Indy weighs more than you!

docs_88

Ah F! Don't know what to believe anymore. The guy runs his own shop and was referred by my neighbor who used to race a little snowcross so I figured he knew what he was talking about. I already bought the springs and he is doing the springs and shocks today and I need the sled back for a trip next weekend. already got $ 1500 in repairs this year with a new top end. can't afford a bent suspension.

Ah F! Don't know what to believe anymore. The guy runs his own shop and was referred by my neighbor who used to race a little snowcross so I figured he knew what he was talking about. I already bought the springs and he is doing the springs and shocks today and I need the sled back for a trip next weekend. already got $ 1500 in repairs this year with a new top end. can't afford a bent suspension.

1500 for a new top end.....sounds a little pricey.

docs_88

Right $ 1500 total. Pre-season tune up, new carb intake boots, new top end, new springs, shock rebuild, etc. All for 140 miles so far. Anyway, could the unmatched spring set up really tweak the whole suspension?? Not that I think indyxcr is wrong but just trying to confirm.

Right $ 1500 total. Pre-season tune up, new carb intake boots, new top end, new springs, shock rebuild, etc. All for 140 miles so far. Anyway, could the unmatched spring set up really tweak the whole suspension?? Not that I think indyxcr is wrong but just trying to confirm.

That makes a little more sense.

docs_88

I have heard of guys running the spring settings on high on one side and medium on the other. Since there is only about 2lbs difference in the heavy and standard polaris springs wouldn't this be essentially doing the same thing?? maybe a dumb question but as you probably have guessed I am not a mechanic...shade tree or not.

fcat700

Just had the rear shock in my Fusion 600 re-charged but the rear suspension still sags about 6" or more without me on the sled. It's not up on dolly's and is sitting flat on the cement. Any ideas??

My four Arctic Cats, set-up soft, don't "sag" at all, not even a 1/8" while sitting with out a rider, is this a polaris thing? They drop 3" or 4" with a rider. Check out the SC in the pick.

Attachments

• DSC00679.jpg
    DSC00679.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 31

xc700LP

My four Arctic Cats, set-up soft, don't "sag" at all, not even a 1/8" while sitting with out a rider, is this a polaris thing? They drop 3" or 4" with a rider. Check out the SC in the pick.

Only the polaris sleds with the light weight springs my wedge rmk doesn't sag

Attachments

• 100_0053.jpg
    100_0053.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 31