Recipe for Carp

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
For the best results be sure to read the complete instructions...

Recipe for Planking Carp

In Asia, carp is a common part of the diet. In the US, not so much. They are bottom feeders, the delicate white flesh found in farmed carp from Asia is often brown and muddy when taken from our streams. In some states they are considered a nuisance and you can take them any way you want. If you can get one on a line, they are among the toughest strongest fighters I've ever encountered. I caught my first one, a 30 pounder, by clubbing it in a shallow stream with a canoe paddle, practically decapitating it, much to my wife's horror.

I asked an old timer at a nearby fish camp how to cook it and here's his recipe: "Scale and gut the fish. Remove the head, and fins, but leave the tail on. Filet it and soak the filet in milk for two hours. This helps reduce the fishiness. Season with herbs and plenty of salt and pepper. Nail the filets to a red cedar plank, meat side down, and grill until the meat is flaky and opaque. Then remove the fish from the plank, throw it out, and eat the plank."

skiroule

What I find really funny about this is how close to home it hits. I grew up on a farm in northern MN and the little farming communities formed by these farms were often given names. In our case, the river that ran through the area had a huge spring spawning run of what we now call rough fish (Suckers, Carp, Red Horse, etc.). Presumably, that is why the community became known as “Carp”.

In its heyday, the community had a small general store known as the “Carp Store” and also a schoolhouse…. Yes, I attended the “Carp School” until 9[SUP]th[/SUP] grade (there were six kids in my class).

My dad did his best to try to make something of the unattractive, but abundant fish (other than fertilizer) but was never really successful. His smoking experiment was pretty much a disaster (as the old joke goes, they are so hard to light).

For whatever reason, there is no longer the big spring run of Carp through, well, Carp, but the name still persists. You can actually google Carp, MN 56623 but don’t believe all of the services advertised for “Carp”. You cannot get a haircut in Carp.

Last edited:

mezz

For the best results be sure to read the complete instructions...

Recipe for Planking Carp

In Asia, carp is a common part of the diet. In the US, not so much. They are bottom feeders, the delicate white flesh found in farmed carp from Asia is often brown and muddy when taken from our streams. In some states they are considered a nuisance and you can take them any way you want. If you can get one on a line, they are among the toughest strongest fighters I've ever encountered. I caught my first one, a 30 pounder, by clubbing it in a shallow stream with a canoe paddle, practically decapitating it, much to my wife's horror.

I asked an old timer at a nearby fish camp how to cook it and here's his recipe: "Scale and gut the fish. Remove the head, and fins, but leave the tail on. Filet it and soak the filet in milk for two hours. This helps reduce the fishiness. Season with herbs and plenty of salt and pepper. Nail the filets to a red cedar plank, meat side down, and grill until the meat is flaky and opaque. Then remove the fish from the plank, throw it out, and eat the plank."

That's a real hoot! Thanks for the laugh!!:cool:-Mezz