Recoil Rope Abrading Coolant Hose?

mngolf4

Anyone seen this? I just noticed it today on my '08 Polaris 600 Switchback. Looks like the worn area on the hose is about the thickness of the rope, I can't imagine there's much hose material left. Doesn't appear that anything is routed improperly, just looks like they have the rope too close to the hose.

Last edited:

anonomoose

As a current Polaris owner, you need to make note that when you buy a Polaris....first thing you do is go thru the sled from top to bottom and end to end tightening bolts, and checking for wiring and hose routes with a hand full of plastic lock ties at the ready. Not sure why they can't do this right from the factory but I believe it reflects poorly on a product that has suffered from this issue for years. You don't have to be an engineer to see that hoses that rub, or wires that rest on sharp edges will present problems eventually. While I have owned every maker of sleds over the last 25 years and know that all of them need this attention to play it safely, Polaris is the worst out there. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Enough said about Polaris....

Anyone seen this? I just noticed it today on my '08 Polaris 600 Switchback. Looks like the worn area on the hose is about the thickness of the rope, I can't imagine there's much hose material left. Doesn't appear that anything is routed improperly, just looks like they have the rope too close to the hose.

If you are going to change the hose and there is not other routing for the rope, save the old hose and tie wrap a piece of the old hose around the new hose for protection.

mngolf4

skidoodoug - thanks for the suggestion. As of this morning the sled is already in the shop to have the hose replaced. If the new one doesn't come with some form of protection my mechanic plans to implement some standard hose protection material he uses.