Recommendations for riding the UP January 4th

bayfly

My wife, son, and I are planning to ride somewhere in the UP on Saturday 1/4, but I am undecided on where to go. The limited trail reports that I've seen are not great. We are leaning toward the Seney/Munising area but are also considering Ishpeming as well. Since our riding time is pretty much limited to one day we would prefer not to trailer more than 4 hours from Green Bay if we can help it. We plan to camp in the trailer so we can make last minute changes if needed. We are very familiar with much of the UP, just looking for recommendations based on trail conditions. Thanks in advance for any help.

Bullitt69

Hi Bayfly, Happy New Year!

If you're considering the Seney/Munising Area, you're probably in good shape.

Typically, anywhere north of M28 between Munising and Sault Ste. Marie is snowbelt country, and although we haven't had many LES events, there's a fairly good base from system snows that have come through since Thanksgiving, albeit they were heavy, wet snowfalls. (In other words, my power's been down twice already this season at my camp!)

You might get some rough patches around the towns and the curves, but I think overall there should be some freshening up this week to smooth things out.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
-Bullitt-

1fujifilm

My wife, son, and I are planning to ride somewhere in the UP on Saturday 1/4, but I am undecided on where to go. The limited trail reports that I've seen are not great. We are leaning toward the Seney/Munising area but are also considering Ishpeming as well. Since our riding time is pretty much limited to one day we would prefer not to trailer more than 4 hours from Green Bay if we can help it. We plan to camp in the trailer so we can make last minute changes if needed. We are very familiar with much of the UP, just looking for recommendations based on trail conditions. Thanks in advance for any help.

www.munisingsnow.com

They put out a report today.

Bear

You Will definitely not need to trailer four hours from Green Bay, unload in Dunbar or Florence Wisconsin and you will be set to go, trails are perfect, Wisconsin trails were Much better than the UP Wednesday through Friday!

bayfly

We just got home from our ride out of the Ishpeming area and I don't regret driving past the Wisconsin trails one bit. Trail 5 up to Big Bay was a 10+ For the first 20 miles and an 8 the rest of the way due to some thin areas. My wife thought it was some of the prettiest riding she had ever seen (and has seen plenty). Thanks for the suggestions.