Replacing Roof - Metal or Shingles?

indybru

I have a house at Big Powderhorn Ski Area and the roof is at least 25 years old. I noticed this summer when I mowed the lawn some shingles fell off the roof to the ground. Anyway, I'm thinking now is the time to consider replacing the roof. My roof is fairly steep. I'm thinking going with a metal roof?
Any advise from those that live in god's country?
I'm sure you are much more familar with metal roof's than someone that lives in Illinois.
Thanks,

slimcake

I would go steel if it will work. If you have a lot of different pitches and roofs coming together then I would stay with shingles. There is also a 1500 dollar tax credit offered by bama nation if you put a steel roof on........

indybru

Slimcake, thanks that's good to know about the tax credit. It's pretty simple (pitch) top two sides look like a triangle.

A

admin

Metal is the way to go, just beware that the snow will slide, even on a 5/12 pitch, so you want to make sure where the snow slides to- people are not walking, cars parked, etc...

-John

hondo

Things: Darker colors melt snow better. Green most popular color. They all fade but reds and browns show it the most in just a few years. If a lot of over hang trees.will sap on the roof and keep the snow from sliding off. Two types of ribbed roof exposed screws or hidden. Hidden can cost up to 50% more. Several different styles but ribbed sheds snow the best and is cheapest. 3/12 is about the flatest a metal will work on. You can mount the roof on the surface or right over shingles if you space it up with slats and get a inch or so air gap. But will take a few extra degrees to shed the snow

jmk62

better research that tax credit. last time i read it, it was for white colored roofs. seems our commander and chief/bank president/auto company c.e.o./roofing expert thinks the white color will reflect the suns rays thus limiting global warming![im not kidding] to bad the theory dosn't apply to "gods country" where we either have cloudy days OR snow on the roof a better part of the year! L.O.L.

wags

i would check the Big Powerhorn Homeowners Assoc to make sure there are not any spec's you have to go with, some require you to stay with a certain look.

thebluff

All the manufacturers of metal have certain colors that qualify for the tax credit. We sell mostly Metal Sales and they have at least 6 colors. There are many other companies.

At present, I sell metal for $68.33/sq. Landmark 30 shingles (certainteed) I am selling for around $89/sq. Mix in that tax rebate (shingles are not estar rated) along with a 45 year warrenty on metal and you have a good argument for metal.

Avoid Menards metal (my opinion). Thinner, lower quality paint, and from what I have seen, warrenties that are 15-20 yrs less that what I sell....all to save maybe $10/sq. Go with a quality lumberyard.

thebluff

forgot to mention that at least in my area, all metal orders placed Friday this week or later go up 3%. Not huge, metal is at a 12 yr low right now. Last year it was selling here for $115/sq

pistons

I have seen a metal panel that is stamped out to look just like shingles. It even has grit glued to them. 50 year warranty and like 150mph wind clause. It measured about 2ft. by 3ft.

indybru

Thanks again. Metal roofs are o.k. at Powderhorn some have installed them. The head guy at Big Powderhorn got me a quote its good for 25 days.
I'm not sure about the tax credit since this is not my primary home. My sister is a CPA and is checking into it. Interesting about Red my wife likes red, I'm thinking green. We were planning on coming up this weekend mainly to check into other roofs the contractor has done and get more information.
Seems like a good time to get this done you get a bad economy discount and I heard steel prices are lower. 85% of our use is in the winter I was cautioned about noise from rain and hail. The house is a modified A frame so the snow will fall to the sides out of the way its hard to walk around the place in the winter unless you have snowshoes.bruce

eao

White is the only color that will look good forever. Even when it fades you can't tell. The roof of my garage is white and been there for 21 yrs.

The only metal roof the looks good for years is the standing seam which is custom cut to length on site and installed. Cost a fortune though.

firenut

I put a steel roof on my house three years ago. I beg to differ on the noisier comment. Not true. I agree it is noisier in a metal shed with no decking, but the metal on my house was attached to the decking with a heavy layer of tar paper in between.

Mark

dooski

Has anyone had any experince with metal shingles? There is a house or business on 94 between Milwaukee and Madison that has them. They look really sharp.

jim

white metal roof's are good unless you have a tree that will drip sap on it, turns it black

dooski

Hens Can you post a pic of your new roof? How many sqaure? What was the damage (if you don;t mind me asking)