Replacing Roof - Metal or Shingles?

elf

I put a metal roof on my cabin and love it. I did the standing seam roof so all the fasteners are hidden. I saw somebody made a comment to avoid Menards but thats where I got mine from and couldn't be happier with it. It arrived all cut to length.
Here's a couple of pics of it.

112668.jpg

112669.jpg

elf

Thanks and it was super easy to put on. My only challenge was being a 12/12 roof. But I put it all up in 2 days by myself.
Somebody also made a comment about being noisy. Most residential metal roofs get screwed right to the roof deck, not on purloins so you don't have the noise that you would from a pole building style roof. The only noise we hear from it is swooshing noises as the snow slides off.

hens

Sorry, I was on vacation for the last week.... I'll try and take a pic and post it soon.

The damage was 21K and change.. I'll have to look up how many square.

hens

dooski

Thanks Hens,

My neighbor took a bad hit from a huge tree last weekend. I forwarded him the info you have listed. I would love to see a pic.

Thanks !

L

lenny

if you have a gable roof and no valleys, metal is the way to go. One thing I couldn't stress enough is to have good ventilation and enough insulation. without enough insulation heat escapes into attic and heats the roof and melts snow which runs down and hits the eves and can freeze possibly causing damage. I have a friend who had a bunch of metal tore up in a valley because ice dams. An A-frame probably has no attic so soffit vents and ridge vent is a must, and be sure the roof insulation doesn't touch the underside of the roof sheeting blocking off ventilation flow in the eves. lots of guys jam the insulation tight stopping ventilation, that's a big no no

hens

Sorry dooski, it's been raining here for the last 3 days... not too good picture taking weather. I'll try and get a pic this weekend and post it. I need to load a buch on my computer anyway.

I have a Gambrel roof and no valleys.. it was a no brainer for me to go with metal. I didn't go with a smooth roof because I have an entrance and a deck on the side of my house and I'd have to worry about people getting hit with snow slides and also clearing off more snow than I do now.

hens