restoring 74 colt

dale_58

Any recomendations for somebody to restore our 1974 Polaris colt?
In the Minneapolis area.

Attachments

• 11-05,1-06 058.jpg
    11-05,1-06 058.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 60

snoluver1

I might be interested depending on details. Are you looking for showroom new or just want to freshen up the mechanicals? Are you familiar with what it would take to do a full restoration? Unless it is in remarkably good shape, chances are you would have far more money wrapped up in the machine than it is worth. What exactly are you looking for?

dale_58

The crappy part now, it has a twin cylinder, but it had a single(that crapped out a long time ago, We don't have any more).The sprockets were changed for the replacement twin.

I don't have any idea on $$ for showroom new. At least the hood,decals,emblems,windshield,bumpers,paint chassis.

Not worried about the beat up belly pan, the suspension (that’s what it was called Ha Ha),

*or track (great shape) (leave as is for now).

The gas tank (steel) does not leak as of right now.

The hood doesn’t have any gouges or chunks missing.

The brake res. on the (handle bars) is crappy and has white powder crap inside.

I think the seat has 1 tear (leave as is for now)

Thank you

Dale

Last edited:

polarisrider1

The crappy part now, it has a twin cylinder, but it had a single(that crapped out a long time ago, We don't have any more).The sprockets were changed for the replacement twin.

I don't have any idea on $$ for showroom new. At least the hood,decals,emblems,windshield,bumpers,paint chassis.

Not worried about the beat up belly pan, the suspension (that’s what it was called Ha Ha),

*or track (great shape) (leave as is for now).

The gas tank (steel) does not leak as of right now.

The hood doesn’t have any gouges or chunks missing.

The brake res. on the (handle bars) is crappy and has white powder crap inside.

I think the seat has 1 tear (leave as is for now)

Thank you

Dale

so you just want it fixed up a bit? My brother did a 1972 Polaris Colt 175 with all original parts and has a source for decals. It was out of the crate mint condition when he was finished with the restore, had hundreds of hours in it and a lot of money. He had it on Ebay several times and ended up repocasting it for $500. That was about a year ago. He has all kinds of parts for your sled such as stock belts, windshield, suspensions and I suspect a running motor that your sled came with. At last count he had about 200 vintage motors for all sleds that run in stock. He pricing is way fair!.

snoluver1

had hundreds of hours in it and a lot of money. He had it on Ebay several times and ended up repocasting it for $500.

This is the point I was trying to make. /\

Dale, if you were to pay somebody to do the restoration work, you would likely be thousands deep into the project. Lets just say I charged you a ridiculously low shop rate, say $30/hr. ( less than half the average shop rate). Now lets say I had a minimum of 100hrs into it. Your already at 3 grand and we haven't even bought any parts yet!!
I don't mean to talk you out of it. I love preserving theses old machines, and would love to help you out! Just trying to make the point that if your unable to do the major bulk of labor yourself, its a losing proposition from start to finish. It would be much more economical for you to buy an already restored sled.

Last edited:

dale_58

Would like the hood refinished and the chassis sand blasted,primed and painted.(or powder coat??)
Need decals, emblems,front and rear bumper,wind shield.

Dale