Restricted area in Ottawa National Forest

mrsrunningbear

FYI on off trail riding
Starting March 1, the area of the Ottawa National Forest south of M-28 and east of Highway M-64 (yellow area), is closed to cross-country snowmobile use. This is to prevent disturbance of nesting eagles.

During this time, snowmobiles are only permitted to use groomed trails or unplowed Forest System Roads within this area, which have not been signed, gated, or otherwise closed to such use.

During this period, all other areas of the Ottawa, north of M-28 and west of M-64, are open to cross-country travel, the use of groomed trails, or operation on unplowed Forest System Roads which have not been signed, gated, or otherwise closed to such use.

Restricted.JPG

snobuilder

The sooner the eagles adapt to humans, the better off they will be.....Imagine how many eagles we would have if they tasted better.

snobuilder

why not both?....chit we are up to our armpits in hybrid canadian geese no one wants with the help of DNR/genetics

DamageInc

That's a ridiculous reason to close down an area. The eagle population is doing great, and they don't seem to mind sleds at all. I've ridden very close to them without them leaving their perch, and have had them fly very close to me.

snobuilder

hard to tell on the map but is that the WI/MI border as the south boundary?

I will stay 280 miles away from there.

old abe

Yes it has been this way for as long as I can remember

Okay thanks, and a good post as a friendly reminder to folks that are riding. My son and I were up there 20 years ago in early January, and again in late March. That area as I remember it was restricted the same way back then. I was not a where it had to do with the eagles, and their nesting concerns.

wirev

I believe that has been that way [at least] since the early nineties. Tradition!!!! [had to say it since I'm in rehearsal for Fiddler on the Roof] lol.

T

Tracker

just an FYI fellers....it sounds bad don't it...but you really have to read it 5 times to get what it means....and its mainly a scare tactic....no offense to you mrs....but the yellow section can be rode legally until june 1st...I used to do it all the time....and heres the key phrase

or unplowed Forest System Roads within this area

the groomed trails or this ^...and this constitutes almost the entire forest along with the groomed trails...its endless....you can buzz eagle nests....and have a blast on unplowed forest roads....tell em....LARUE SENT YA...LOL...seriously.....it am gonna be funski

it also means you can ride north south east and west areas....the entire area

DamageInc

just an FYI fellers....it sounds bad don't it...but you really have to read it 5 times to get what it means....and its mainly a scare tactic....no offense to you mrs....but the yellow section can be rode legally until june 1st...I used to do it all the time....and heres the key phrase

or unplowed Forest System Roads within this area

the groomed trails or this ^...and this constitutes almost the entire forest along with the groomed trails...its endless....you can buzz eagle nests....and have a blast on unplowed forest roads....tell em....LARUE SENT YA...LOL...seriously.....it am gonna be funski

it also means you can ride north south east and west areas....the entire area

Well yeah, but you can't go cross-country in the yellow area, which a lot of people like to do.

DamageInc

Doesn't seem to be a issue with this as it has been this same way for over 25 years.

25 years ago, the eagle population was still struggling to recover. Today, they are booming. Nobody is saying it's a huge issue, but it's obviously an outdated regulation that should be eliminated.

The eagles around here seem to have no problem watching you drive by them at 70 on the highway as they sit on top of road kill deer... I swear bald eagles are the most overrated animals, nothing but oversized scavengers that use their size to keep away other scavengers.

Owls on the other hand...