Retirement Scenario

durphee

From Park Ridge to Presque Isle is 380 miles. Good drive up there is around 5 1/2 hours with one stop in Westfield for gas. Bad drive is around 6 hours. We try to leave PR around 5 or 6 am and we are north before lunch and still have day in front of us. I try to keep it around 75 mph in the 70 zones and 60ish+ in the 55 zones. Learned a painful, expensive lesson, (twice) courtesy of the Wisconsin State Patrol on Hwy 51 nearing and north of Minocqua. We spend almost exactly 6 months on/off at each home.
Sounds about the same situation as I am in. Live in Utica (Starved Rock area) and travel around 400 miles to just south of Hayward. Its definitley doable but a drive. And I also got nabbed by the Wisco State cops speeding and it cost me a good bit so I tend to set the cruise about exactly as you do. But, I do not get the 6 months just yet. My parents live up there for 6 months so it definitely gets used. And as someone mentioned, you gotta put the hard work into getting it as maintenance free as possible or its just work trips and loses its luster.

Airman68

Agree 150% on the maintenance free thing. When I had my log cabin, it was nothing but maintenance. I'm really considering some sort of barndo-minium type of building. All metal, no outside maintenance.

elf

Agree 150% on the maintenance free thing. When I had my log cabin, it was nothing but maintenance. I'm really considering some sort of barndo-minium type of building. All metal, no outside maintenance.
We are just the opposite. We have a log home and it's maintenance central while our cabin is vinyl siding, metal roof, and tiny yard. Still always something to do though. And I always get annoyed when my wife or kids complain that I'm/they are always working on projects when we are up there. How do they think it maintains itself, magic??

rph130

We are just the opposite. We have a log home and it's maintenance central while our cabin is vinyl siding, metal roof, and tiny yard. Still always something to do though. And I always get annoyed when my wife or kids complain that I'm/they are always working on projects when we are up there. How do they think it maintains itself, magic??
As I have started to slow down a little, I told my kids and their spouses that one long weekend in late spring/early summer, is a mandatory clean-up, fix this and that, and repair winter damage, downed trees stuff, no questions asked. They are great about it because they can and do use it whenever they want, and it is their, and their children's future cabin when I'm gone. As far as maintenance, the cabin is cedar sided, 28' X 44' with a walkout lower level. Garage is cedar sided 24' X 40'. What works well for us is to stain and water seal one side of cabin and garage each year. Takes about half a day and doesn't overwhelm. Put metal roofs on both 2 years ago so that will never be a worry or issue.

Reactions: elf

Airman68

LOL, yeah. I spent so many weekends and days working on projedcts, during the week going up after work and going back to work the next day. Then the girls came up on the weekends and wondered why I was burned out, LOL.

Reactions: elf

dfattack

oh that is sooo true. Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way.

skiroule

Lots of interesting perspectives here from people that are already retired, people that are close, and people that still have a ways to go.

I’m in the retired category and it’s kind of funny because of the strange twist it took. If you had told me a few years before I retired that we would be buying a cabin in Canada and moving back to our home town in northern MN, I would have accused you of being on drugs. But that’s exactly what happened.

A couple of visits to friends that had lake cabins on the Canadian side of Lake of the Woods was enough to convince us that it was something we would enjoy, so we bought a place of our own a couple of years before I retired to get a head start on renovating it. Since retirement we have split our seasonal residence time between the cabin and home almost evenly.

The move back to the home town came later and it cut our cabin travel time from seven hours to one. Because we both grew up in the area, there was no serious culture shock moving to a small town. There are some things I miss about the Twin Cities but my wife misses nothing.

I worked until full retirement (66), which is still relatively young by today’s standards but the advice some have given here about retiring as early as possible is great advice. I’m coming up on 10 years post-retirement and even though I try to tell myself otherwise, deep down I know that my first few years of retirement were my best years from a physical perspective.

It sounds like a lot of you are already in the cabin mode while maintaining a primary residence elsewhere, which is pretty smart, as it gives you a good idea if year-around cabin residence is for you.

Airman68

Congrats on the Canadian cabin, sweet deal. Although my dream would be to live full time at a cabin of some sort after retirement, I just know my wife will never go for it. I have at best, 10 years to retire and my kids are just starting to have kids. It will be very difficult to convince my wife to move 3 or so hours from them as they are all in the GB area. That said, she is up for a place where we can all get together as a family on occasion. Who knows what the future will bring. I certainly didn't think our country would be in this kind of shape right now. Makes it a little hard to plan that far ahead. I can't complain though. I have a nice house and it's paid off. I have it better than most.

Interceptor

Many excellent points being made by all who are experienced in making the move happen. One thing I haven’t heard mentioned but is extremely important in my opinion, is the availability of good health care “near by”. I am spoiled having excellent health care close to my home.
The other concern for retired and aging people… what happens if, and or when, a person can no longer drive. These two issues have prevented me from escaping to the great north……

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Excellent point regarding healthcare. Both my parents and in-laws were 2 hours from a hospital that could treat them. I recall Dad had at least one helicopter ride to the E.R. and a couple more in the ambulance. Otherwise they were on their own at all times of the day and night, good weather and bad. All of us, at some point, are going to need a doctor and the closer the better. Plan accordingly.

pclark

Here is our experience, as you know we live in MW, it’s 45 minutes to Minocqua where they have 2 hospitals, same up to Ironwood, MI. They are decent facilities, surgery, colonoscopy, etc. Keeping a steady doctor is the issue, I’m on my 2nd cardiologist, and am happy with him, lives in the area and has assured me he will be around for awhile. GP is awesome but comes up from Wausau, now leaving to go back to Wausau and we will continue to see him there as we will make the appointment and stop when we go visit our daughter in Naperville. Good dentist right in MW. Healthcare can be an issue anywhere you live, we just try to stay healthy, have great gym right in MW where I go 5 days a week. 4 miles a day on treadmill and weight program.

Other people might paint a different picture but that is our experience. We use xpress scripts for medications delivered right to our house or Walmart pharmacy in Minoqua.

dfattack

Here is our experience, as you know we live in MW, it’s 45 minutes to Minocqua where they have 2 hospitals, same up to Ironwood, MI. They are decent facilities, surgery, colonoscopy, etc. Keeping a steady doctor is the issue, I’m on my 2nd cardiologist, and am happy with him, lives in the area and has assured me he will be around for awhile. GP is awesome but comes up from Wausau, now leaving to go back to Wausau and we will continue to see him there as we will make the appointment and stop when we go visit our daughter in Naperville. Good dentist right in MW. Healthcare can be an issue anywhere you live, we just try to stay healthy, have great gym right in MW where I go 5 days a week. 4 miles a day on treadmill and weight program.

Other people might paint a different picture but that is our experience. We use xpress scripts for medications delivered right to our house or Walmart pharmacy in Minoqua.
Man you are my hero!

whitedust

If you are seriously ill or can’t drive the WI Northwoods is no place for you definitely a consideration. Health insurance companies charge you more due to unfavorable outcomes in Vilas County. Sad but true the statistics tell the story. I had countless GPs in 16 years in Vilas mainly because the hospitals won’t employ them and they leave for greener pastures. There is excellent medical available in Wausau but 90 to100 miles away.

goofy600

Man good point to bring up health care, the live long locals will tell you we do what we have to most that move up north probably have a secondary plan, ie live there until healthcare is a real concern then move back by family in the real world. But as Pclark has said do your job and try to stay healthy as long as possible. As for myself and my wife that was a big part of pulling the trigger and moving at a somewhat younger age 53 and 51 so hopefully have a good 20 to 30 before we have to worry about real health care.

goofy600

Pclark what happened to your doctor in Minocqua? Thought you had the same dr as me? Did he leave?

pclark

If you are seriously ill or can’t drive the WI Northwoods is no place for you definitely a consideration. Health insurance companies charge you more due to unfavorable outcomes in Vilas County. Sad but true the statistics tell the story. I had countless GPs in 16 years in Vilas mainly because the hospitals won’t employ them and they leave for greener pastures. There is excellent medical available in Wausau but 90 to100 miles away.
Agree with you Pete