Rev xp Jackshaft problems

Greatwhitehope

Ok guys I need some help here. I had a new bearing put on my jack shaft and now when I go to put it back in it seems that it's hanging up a 1/8 inch or so. I'v put the bolt back in on the gear and tried to tighten so it would pull the shaft into place but it's just not moving. Is the gear and shaft supposed to sit flush with eachother on the outside? My shaft is set in the gear about a 1/8 inch yet. I'v hammered the clutch side pretty good and it's not moving. So I'm wondering if it's in all the way and they just pressed my bearing on to far? If someone could post a close up pic of a xp with the black overflow plug in the chain case pulled and the bolt removed that would answer all my questions. Thanks

Last edited:

doospunk

You'd probably have a lot of input over on dootalk with this question. If ya can't find it there, give Big John at Sledhead Racing a shout.

legolamb

Was the shaft flush with your gear when you took it off? If you are using any spacers to deal with clutch alignment, then your shaft will not be flush with your gear. You should be able to see if the bearing was installed in the same place as the old one, there will be marks on the shaft.

Greatwhitehope

I don't remember where it was but it seems set in farther than I think it was, it's difficult to tell where the old bearing sat. There's marks in front of it but seems like it could be from pressing it on

legolamb

In stock form, with no spacers being used, shaft should be flush with gear. If the bearing fully seats in the secondary clutch tower, and your shaft is not flush with your gear, the bearing is not in the correct location.

Greatwhitehope

So it is possible for the bearing to be pushed to far on? There's no lip or anything on the shaft to stop the bearing from going to far? Seems odd if that's the case

legolamb

Is your new bearing possibly wider than the original? Does it fit flush inside the tower mount and does the bearing retainer fit?

Greatwhitehope

Bearing has the same number 6008v and looks identical. The shaft needs to come over 1/8 inch yet according to where the gear is sitting and the space between the retainer piece and housing. Anyone know if the same bearing number could have a slight difference or something?