Rhinelander area

Heading up to Rhinelander starting this Weds and staying through the weekend. Any suggestions on best trails and ones to avoid? Hopefully, things are holding up there. Doesn't look good for the weekend, but hopefully can get some good riding in prior to mid weekend. Unfortunately, we did the same trip last year and it began raining on Fri and never even got to ride the rest of the weekend because things deteriorated so rapidly. So, this year we made the trip a weekend earlier (booked it in the Summer) hoping for better results. Hoping this doesn't happen again.
Any musts for stops and routes or info is appreciated. Thanks.

zr600

Hard to answer due to changing conditions. Ill be just north of you for the same timeframe. Last ride of the season, hoping for the best.
If I were you I'd ride thru the Sugar Camp area- Trail 12 has lots of woods (sun shade) and they have a descent amount of snow.
Then head East and North, avoid ER and Minoqua

Take the trail on the east side of Rhinelander and head north to sugar camp. From there i would head towards St. Germain. I would avoid the Eagle River area too. Trail from Sugar Camp to St Germain (Don't take the trail that runs along HWY 70, go through the sugar camp chain of lakes area) are in the woods and you should be good for at least the first 3 days. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Thanks for the info! Sounds like going through sugar camp is a good bet. The less sun/open area routes, the better. I don't have high hopes for the weekend, but was hoping to get decent riding Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

mnystrom

mxz is correct, from sugar camp run north to St. Germain.I think the trail is 13N should dump out at power lines. Most trails in woods should be fine. There's a big warm up coming and most of the snow is by Phelps.

- - - Updated - - -

Guess you saw forecast, Evinrude time!

JimAndros

mxz is correct, from sugar camp run north to St. Germain.I think the trail is 13N should dump out at power lines. Most trails in woods should be fine. There's a big warm up coming and most of the snow is by Phelps.

That is 15N to the power lines, 13N goes to ER. FYI: Just got back from a ride to Alvin. Trails were typically good with some fair. High today was 33 with intermittent sun. Tomorrow a bit cooler, should be OK yet.

Well not that it matters much at this point, but just wanted to give a report and say thanks to you above for the info. Last Weds we rode from Rhinelander, over to St. Germain and back. Figured this would be the best day to do this, as the area would only get busier by the weekend. Good call. Trails were good. Right around St Germain the snow was significantly thinner, though. Ran into a couple of groomers, but I'm not even sure what they were grooming at this point. Mostly was just base with a very thin layer or snow/sugar on top. That was a 113 mile trip and due to some poor signage, not back until 1 a.m. Doing hot laps only a few miles from the camp. lol. We figured East and North would be better. So, Thursday we headed over through Forest County and all the way to Argonne and back. Significantly more snow that way. Even some of the roads had a few inches of snow on them and groomed beautifully. 116 miles and very nice. Friday we knew the warm up was coming. So, just decided to make a smaller loop and enjoy the time vs seeing how many miles we could get on. Warmest weather I've ever ridden in. 57 degrees according to one local thermometer. Headed a similar direction and Toward Three Lakes. Sorry don't remember the specifics, other than places we stopped, including Tavern on the Loop and some Tiki place (Maia Tiki bar?) Cheap entertainment and great food. Figured it would be decent too because of avoiding certain areas and having lakes to travel on. Only 60 miles, but a great time. We called it good (even though we would've like to ride Saturday too.) Saturday we took the truck and checked out the fisheree on Lake George briefly and then headed to Johnnie's for the Laona 500. Best call of the day for entertainment. Tons of people. Lake was in awful condition, but perfect for good laughs. The ice by shore was deteriorating rapidly and breaking up in spots. Saw a couple of people break through up to their waists in loon crap. Then a racing sled sunk over it's hood. Also, there was so much water on the track, the sleds were throwing walls of water around the turns. One guy rolled it 3x in the same spot and finally gave up. And last, but not least a live wild bear cub comes out of nowhere and plops down next to one of the grills in front of the Bar. Someone contacted the DNR and it eventually was sedated and hauled out of there. Not sure what some parents were thinking, but there were a couple of kids (and even adults) trying to pet the thing. Come on folks, it's not a domesticated dog. It's still a wild (well probably not any more after 10 cheeseburgers and petting) animal! Despite the weather shortening the trip for the 2nd year in a row, it was a good trip. We'll be back next year.

rozzy43

"And last, but not least a live wild bear cub comes out of nowhere and plops down next to one of the grills in front of the Bar. Someone contacted the DNR and it eventually was sedated and hauled out of there. Not sure what some parents were thinking, but there were a couple of kids (and even adults) trying to pet the thing. Come on folks, it's not a domesticated dog. It's still a wild (well probably not any more after 10 cheeseburgers and petting) animal!"

That right there is Crazy and Funny at the same time! ***!..............

zr600

I was up there Wed thru Saturday as well. Wed thru Friday noon was awesome. I avoided St Germain due to the drag races the weekend prior. Went all over Vilas And Oneida county's. Monico-sugar camp-eagle river-star lake-lando-Phelps and everywhere in between.
Trails were great until Friday about noon then it heated up to 50 degrees and all the clowns on their last ride showed up.