Riding and drinking

14snow

I need help with a question that was put to me at a bar last night.If you get caught riding a snowmobile while intoxicated,does the ticket go against your license like a dui in a car?I said no because you dont need a license to ride a snowmobile.Any help would be great.

Ronder

I need help with a question that was put to me at a bar last night.If you get caught riding a snowmobile while intoxicated,does the ticket go against your license like a dui in a car?I said no because you dont need a license to ride a snowmobile.Any help would be great.

What state is involved?

amo

Most likely yes. Snowmobile, ATV, and watercraft users are able to get DUI in most if not all states in the Midwest. Been that way now for some time.

ridindirty800

In wisconsin you can get a DUI but it does NOT go on ur license! They are working on making them go on ur license but have yet to come up with anything. And I am speaking for only Wisconsin not sure about the other states!

Operating a Motor Vehicle while Intoxicated: This definition is very broad and is interpreted by most State as all encompassing. Basically, if you're operating a golf cart, lawn mower, ATV, Sled, car or your modified electric toaster on public domain and drunk, you're getting the hammer.

ridindirty800

Operating a Motor Vehicle while Intoxicated: This definition is very broad and is interpreted by most State as all encompassing. Basically, if you're operating a golf cart, lawn mower, ATV, Sled, car or your modified electric toaster on public domain and drunk, you're getting the hammer.

Yeah he is just asking if it goes on your driving license! And I know in wisconsin it does not. But u are right u can get a dui on just about anything. Saw a youtube video of a guy getting one driving a scissor lift down the road lol.

eao

Michigan Law
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/SOS_WEDMK_11_Snowmobiles_ORV_Watercraft_158273_7.pdf
Snowmobiles, ORVs, and Alcohol
Michigan’s tough stand against drinking and driving now
includes snowmobiles and ORVs in an effort to reduce the risk of
injury, death, or damage to personal property. State law requires
the Department of State to record on your driving record any
violations and points you receive for drinking while operating a
snowmobile or ORV. Points added to your driving record may
result in your driver’s license being suspended or revoked,
preventing you from driving any motor vehicle in Michigan. Fines
and penalties increase with additional convictions.
You may also be denied an original Commercial Driver
License and an original Driver Training Instructor License.

Dave_B

Don't do it and you won't ever have to worry about it but, yes, in Michigan it does.

Not to imply you were, just speaking generally.

redbirds5

riding & drinking

That was my initial thought too...
why even bother putting yourself (and more importantly, others) in that kind of situation!

mikeh906

In Michigan you can not operate a sled without a valid drivers license, if your underage you need a permit, unless your on private land.

booondocker

In Michigan you can not operate a sled without a valid drivers license, if your underage you need a permit, unless your on private land.

Correct!

For all practical purposes, if you are driving a sled or atv, or boat, as far as the law is concerned you are driving a car...all the same laws apply and then some.

Not only can they suspend your license, they will and the fines are so steap that you get to pay the State of Michigan (which really needs the money) for about 6 years after the incident for a special pool of money. So not only do you have issues with your driving record, your insurance premium, you credit rating, but you will get an additional billing directly from the State of Michigan...something like $500 per year for several years.

In otherwords, it is dumber than trying to tickle the tail of a skunk. Doing it definitely brands you as a dumb bell, and you will be treated accordingly by everyone and everything you touch for quite awhile.

So you have to go ahead and ask T H E QUESTION....."do you feel lucky, punk.....well do yah??"

mjkaliszak

Here is what happens...... A classic !
A little hard on the ears at the end.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/30InBgGhiSo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

chords

Really ??? I didnt know that.

You cant legally operate a snowmobile if your home state has suspended or revoked your drivers license, but I didnt know a current and valid one was a required. Must be some hidden or obscured law.

POLARIS TURBO

I cant understand why people would drink and then go out on a sled ,i think its playing with fire !!! I dont feel sorry when i hear a drunk runs into a tree ,but hurting some else pisses me off!!! Not saying you were drunk but ride sober ...