Riding Houghton MI area 12/19-12/23

skiseadoo

Looks like the weather changed back to Winter! I am planning on heading to Houghton 12/18
and riding 12/19 to 12/23. Head home evening 12/23.

Anyone interested in riding together up there?

With the conditions, I plan on just sticking to the trails! I ride a 2015 Skidoo Renegade 600. Flexible on riding speeds except for very slow on the grades! Like to ride and not spend too much time at rest stops.

jimbo1974

Looks like the weather changed back to Winter! I am planning on heading to Houghton 12/18
and riding 12/19 to 12/23. Head home evening 12/23.

Anyone interested in riding together up there?

With the conditions, I plan on just sticking to the trails! I ride a 2015 Skidoo Renegade 600. Flexible on riding speeds except for very slow on the grades! Like to ride and not spend too much time at rest stops.

You are coming up by yourself,pulling trailer,staying where,have you rode in Houghton before and where do you plan on riding to?

skiseadoo

You are coming up by yourself,pulling trailer,staying where,have you rode in Houghton before and where do you plan on riding to?

As of now I am departing Central IL by myself mid day on the 18th. Pulling a 2 place enclosed trailer. Been riding the Houghton area off and on for the last 25+ years. I was up there 2 weeks ago for a great 2 day ride but the warm up kept me from going last weekend. Will probably ride 1 day to Copper Harbor, Lac La Belle (Hope they opened up for the year). 1 day south to Lake of the Clouds. 1 day south to Lake Gogebic. 1 day east over towards Lanse. Last partial day around Twin Lakes if the Freda loop has been smoothed out and the water holes are frozen. All this is contingent on good trail conditions. If the trails get fair, I try to take another trail. I am staying at the Holiday Inn.

jimbo1974

Looks like they got some decent snow for you this weekend,considering what the last 4-5 days have been like. I was up around Painsdale,Twin Lakes for 10 days before Thanksgiving with a friend and didn't pass another sled for 7 of the 10 days.The 11am-2pm,after 5pm till 7am riding was the BEST.Snow over the windshield no matter where we were riding at.Have been up one more time since then and still thinking about coming up this weekend a 3rd time before Christmas.I must laugh at the thread is this season a bust under Miscellaneous. The U.P. Lake Superior and Skylar's favorite 3 words L.E.S. is what it is all about and no matter how bad it might look just give it a day or week and Winter will always be back in the U.P. Lol just take a look at John's 5-10 graph i will take half that total. There is nothing better then the White-Gold! I'm not a miles guy at all and it looks like your day trips will be good.Have a fun time,ride safe and next time you go up and will be by yourself get a hold of me maybe we can meet up and ride some untouched seasonal roads,logging roads and fields with more snow to come.That reminds me to maybe buy a older trail sled in the future just for times like this.

Last edited:

legend02

Lac La Belle doesn't open till Dec 26 as seen in their cam

bbCAM.jpg

We will be doing the same route on Dec 27 as Skiseadoo