riding this weekend

big_jim

need a honest opinion will the Hurley area be any good for riding this weekend. Don't want to drive 4 hours only to be disappointed
The plan as it stands is heading up on Wednesday morning and staying till Sunday

Wyelde

I'm bailing on a trip this weekend. Above freezing weather starting Thursday + traffic will be very hard on the trails. And the way the forecast looks, it will be too warm to groom even at night. I'm thinking the trails are going to be pretty rough.

upbarleyboy

I'm with Wyelde...this warm up this week is sure to take a toll on the trails through Northern Wisconsin. I'm thinking things are going to deteriorate quickly over the next 4-5 days. A group of us have a trip planned next Wednesday-Sunday up to that area as well, so I'm hoping the forecast changes. Right now the forecast is calling for highs at or near 40 right through Sunday, with nights barely falling back to the freezing mark. Too bad, as conditions were very good this past weekend all over the northwoods. As JD put it so eloquently, we're in a grin and bear it period:(.

Attak man

Unfortunately Jim...the forecast is calling for RAIN, and temps in the upper 30s and low 40's...with it being "DERBY WEEKEND"....I'd cancel, and reschedule if you can...people are going to ride no matter what this weekend...so I'm sure the trails are going to get beat hard from Minocqua to Mercer to Boulder JCT to Eagle River....if the rain holds off, and it's cloudy...the trails will be ok...especially if john's forecasts for next week pans out...You can ride no problem today or tomorrow...trails are still very good by me (Tomahawk area)...it's Thursday through next Monday that worries me....my sled will definitely be parked until next week (I won't ride after this Thursday..too warm with rain coming)

sterky

We just canceled as well. I belong to Chute Pond and they posted this morning that for everyone to stay off the trails until colder temps come back.

1fujifilm

We just canceled as well. I belong to Chute Pond and they posted this morning that for everyone to stay off the trails until colder temps come back.

Crazy how a few days can change everything; I rode Mountain, Carter, Crooked Lake etc. last Sunday and it was magnificent with low traffic (people home watching Packers). 190 miles and no bumps whatsoever, rode very comfortable at zero degrees at 7 AM and by 2 PM it was 33 degrees.

Bear

sterky

I know. They were perfect. Oh well we keep off of them for a few days and hopefully we get the snow thats expected in the long range forecast.

I cancelled for the end of next week also. Even if they get 4 inches next week that won't be enough. Pushed it out two weeks. Third trip in a row canceled and two because of weather the last two seasons. I want to ride so bad!

whitedust

Unfortunately Jim...the forecast is calling for RAIN, and temps in the upper 30s and low 40's...with it being "DERBY WEEKEND"....I'd cancel, and reschedule if you can...people are going to ride no matter what this weekend...so I'm sure the trails are going to get beat hard from Minocqua to Mercer to Boulder JCT to Eagle River....if the rain holds off, and it's cloudy...the trails will be ok...especially if john's forecasts for next week pans out...You can ride no problem today or tomorrow...trails are still very good by me (Tomahawk area)...it's Thursday through next Monday that worries me....my sled will definitely be parked until next week (I won't ride after this Thursday..too warm with rain coming)

Yeah I'm parking too don't want to add to the wear and tear during the thaw snirt and pushed out corners are the norm during the day. Road trails gas stations are baring down. Thinking some will groom some will not at night mixed bag. Didn't see any grooming in UP yesterday either maybe at night...don't know. Going to be some lube problems until snow softens up both WI and UP. Very Spring like out there.

rev07

WD-Have trip to ER for 1/27-renting a sled from ToyStore. We are preparing ourselves for no riding and will have fun being together.
If forecast holds and presuming ER gets say 5 inches of snow early-late next week-do you think we will be riding?

JimAndros

I'm parked thru at least Monday. It would be best for the trails if people XLD this weekend everywhere. Yes, I know the businesses don't want me to say that but.......

maddogg

Going to St. Germaine tomorrow night. I have extremely low expectations therefore I will have a great time with the family.

wery7

From what I understand, Forest County has closed their trails hoping to save what they will have left until it gets cold again next Thursday. I've also heard many parts of the U.P. will not be grooming this weekend unless it is below freezing.....which doesn't look promising.

whitedust

WD-Have trip to ER for 1/27-renting a sled from ToyStore. We are preparing ourselves for no riding and will have fun being together.
If forecast holds and presuming ER gets say 5 inches of snow early-late next week-do you think we will be riding?

I really have no idea & no snow in forecast for next week. 40s & sun then rain over the weekend not going to help conditions. I was in ER today saw one old red polaris riding with a kid up front by MCds and that was it...lol For Derby week not many riding which surprises me very Spring like out there. Who knows trails very well could get bombed with Derby traffic in the rain this weekend and that condition will be a huge problem for anything goodish. UP north of BC was fabulous Tuesday south of BC not so good. No idea who is grooming or will be grooming at night...can't really blame them very warm and wet out there. I also saw lots of slush on marked lakes so beware so you don't get stuck.

shelby369

I'm going to park till next week......Ill take the time to polish my sled and get her ready for a great Feb/Mar.........brrrraaaapppppp.