Riding to Copper Harbor

nocerus03

Need some advice. A group of us are making our annual voyage up to the north woods next week. Staying in Twin Lakes to hit up our usual honeyholes. Question has been asked if we should plan a day trip and make the run up to Copper Harbor. Is it worth it? None of us have ever been up that way and I want to ask some of you that have if that ride is worth making? Is it scenic? Areas to play in?

Help me out so i can either make plans or pass on the opportunity.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 10829

If you've never been there, I would go for sure! Take the Eagle River/Eagle Harbor loop and be sure to take trail 3 up to Brockway Mountain overlooking Copper Harbor. Stop at the Mariner North for a beverage. It is very scenic not to mention north of the bridge has some deep snow, especially around Calumet.

fireworks

The trip is worth it. Temps look to be good too. Friday looks to be the coldest day out of the weekend. Saturday is warmer. High of 16.

bonnevier

For sure go...we actually liked High Rock (very tip of the Keweenaw) and the ride out there vs Brockway. Heck do both! Brockway on the way in and continue thru CH out to High Rock (only like 10-15 miles from "downtown" CH).

Long story short...go up one side of the penisula and come down the other.

arctic600cat

I rode the Keweenaw for the first time last week and would say Copper Harbor is a very nice trip. We went from Baraga to the harbor and back 181 miles. Def stop up to Brockway mountain!!!

baughcat

If you are staying in twin lakes a trip to copper harbor is definitely a must do. Keweenaw trails grooming is second to none,(no offense to others the western U.P. Is awesome). Take the 130 loop and the Freda loop on the way home you will be glad you did.

nocerus03

I have done the Freda loop many times. You are correct the grooming is second to none. Usually when we go up north to ride, it is to stay off the trails as much as possible. However we have talked about the trip to CH many times over the past few years and i think this year we will just have to go. Any other places of "interest" we should check out? Any good off trail areas to see?

mezz

Any good off trail areas to see?[/QUOTE]
Learn from others mistakes, hire a guide.-Mezz

start early .......
x2 Eagle Harbor loop, and brockway mtn on the way there, and definitely Hi Rock Bay on the east side, coming down....
then take trail 134 Mandan trail ......less traffic , great trail.....

garyl62

This is one of those, if you've never done it you need to trips. Don't worry it won't be a been there done that experience, you'll all enjoy it and all the places mentioned are great. We do that every year with a larger group riding out of Toiviola. We usually ride up 3 in the morning to make time before the trails get busy and/or break down a little, then we take the loops as we make our way back south. One thing to keep in mind this year is that 122 is closed from Gay to Lake Linden (I started a different thread questioning that so find it for more details) so that makes the trip on the east side a little more awkward and may add a little time to your day.

nocerus03

Yeah i had heard about Trail 122 being closed to logging. I also realize that this is a full day trip and that we will definitely need to get an early start. How is the fuel situation up there this year? Are there places to fill up once we get up that way?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Station in the Harbor is under new ownership and has regular hours. Not sure what they are, but a call to the Mariner North would probably give you the hours.

-John

packerlandrider

Or, just get fuel at any of the other places on the Keweenaw - Lake Linden, Allouez, Phoenix, Lac la Belle are all as (or nearly as) easy to get to as gas in CH. Or, depending on how fuel efficient your sleds are, top off in Hancock on the way up, which should be enough to get back to Hancock on the trip back to Twin Lakes (this from someone who gets ~160 miles to a tank).

fireworks

Station in the Harbor is under new ownership and has regular hours. Not sure what they are, but a call to the Mariner North would probably give you the hours.

-John
They are open 9-6. I am pretty sure they are open 7 days a week as well. We were their over MLK weekend and the station was open Sunday and Monday. They also take Credit Cards now. We are staying in Copper Wed-Monday. Can post an update on hours Thursday.

parker

We have never crossed the bridge from Houghton heading north to CH ..

Would like to know what to expect for Trail Conditions going through the towns ? ( Trail 3 Houghton/Hancock Tr 17 )
Then again going through Calumet ?

Don't want to have to change Carbides just because we need to go though town and over the bridge to get to the other side. Today the Houghton Cam looks like the streets are pretty void of snow cover.

2-3 pairs of carbides and a set of slides are manditory to ride through houghton

Just kidding, they are great and all the routes have snow, you wont actually be riding on the streets, they leave snow on the snowmobile trails in town, not bad at all

slimcake

NCM_0097.jpg NCM_0096.jpg NCM_0088.jpg No worries about trail conditions... Absolutley worth the trip. Here are some pics from my trip up there not long ago.

fireworks

This is from Jan 3rd. 3 miles from CH. Mt. Bohemia website at that time was reporting 184 inches. Right now they are reporting 233 inches to date. We were back up there Jan 16-20 and conditions were even better. This is our 2nd trip this year staying in CH. We have friends that have a cabin in Mass and they are staying in CH for the 2nd time as well. That's how awesome it is in the KEE. My point being don't think twice about making the trip. My only advice, don't race up and back. Take your time and enjoy the scenery. It's like you are in the Mountains.

jd.jpg

nocerus03

Thanks a lot Slimcake. Now i wont be able to sleep for the next week dreaming about seeing this. @ Packerlandrider.... 160 miles to a tank?? What are you riding? A Prius?