Riding to Copper Harbor

nocerus03

Fireworks... that is a great picture. This season has been epic no doubt. I think that you all have me and my group sold on the idea of a trip up there for a day. Especially if there is snow like you have in your picture. Feel free to post more if you have them.

meathead

Need some advice. A group of us are making our annual voyage up to the north woods next week. Staying in Twin Lakes to hit up our usual honeyholes. Question has been asked if we should plan a day trip and make the run up to Copper Harbor. Is it worth it? None of us have ever been up that way and I want to ask some of you that have if that ride is worth making? Is it scenic? Areas to play in?

Help me out so i can either make plans or pass on the opportunity.

Thanks
nocerus03, Definetly do the c/h run .Heck I do that run from ONTANOGON , and that s a 265 mi round trip. But like they all have said, START early allow time to site see and go up one side ,down the other..MEATHEAD

nocerus03

We are for sure. It will be a long day but it looks like it will definitely be worth it. John please do me a favor and turn on the LES Guns Tuesday night and dont turn them off til Sunday afternoon. Thanks!!

garyl62

So where are you all staying and what dates are you up? I'll be with a group this weekend and will probably make the run up to CH on Sunday.

nocerus03

Fireworks that would be awesome. Please make sure you post up some pics. Have a good time.

Gonna throw this out to any fellow JD'ers. We are making the CH trip next thursday (Feb 20). We will be starting from Krupp's Mini Mart at 630-700 am and heading north for the day. If anyone is in the area and wants to ride let me know. Good group of guys (4) that are experienced enough to get into trouble. Probably do a good mix of on / off trail riding for the day. Let me know.

nocerus03

Follow up

Just a follow up for anyone who was interested in this thread.
So we made the trip to the CH on Thursday (Feb 20). Started early (630am) and from Krupps to Lake Linden we were the first ones on the trail. It was like a white carpet laid out for us to enjoy. Speeds were fast and before we knew it we were at the bridge.
Traveling north from the bridge was nice as well. The trails hadnt been groomed yet but they were still in awesome shape. Our first stop brought us to Lac La Belle for a quick fuel up. Everyone there was racing around in anticipation of the "blizzard" that was heading in thursday night. After filling up we continued on into CH. Rode thru town and made our way towards Brockway Mountain. What an awesome ride up the mountain. Once we got to the top it was a clear view in any direction. The winds were strong but you could not have asked for a better view. As we made our way down we blasted some off trail and headed back towards Lac La Belle to catch the trail to Gay. Some lunch and another quick fill up at the Gay Bar and we were on our way back to Houghton. All in all we ended up with a little over 200 miles for the day and could have tacked on a few more but we were all beat. Thursday night brought the start of the blizzard that would end up dumping almost 20" on us by the time is was all said and done. Friday's ride was EPIC!! There werent many sledders out due to the high winds and drifts and blowing snow, but for us we could not have asked for a better snow system to come thru while we were in town. After our 200 mile day we were ready to tear up the powerlines and run some of the woods. Old Man Winter really helped us out by dumping all the fresh powder. I have been heading to the UP for a bunch of years now and i can honestly say that this trip was the best in terms of snow conditions. Cant wait to get back next year. IMG_20140220_080025_898.jpg IMG_20140220_084702_832.jpg IMG957597.jpg IMG959038.jpg IMG959155.jpg