Roof Rake

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Scott.

I got the roof rake at our local ACE hardware, although I think I saw the same make/model at ShopKo too. It has a plastic rake and lightweight aluminum pole. I was worried that it might not be beefy enough to hold up, but so far has done great. It is super light and also designed so that when you push it forward it rides across the top of the snow and when you pull, it digs in.

I also have one of the older galvanized steel ones, but was just way too heavy to do any considerable raking with, so I gave up on it for roofs and roof raking for that matter- until I got this latest plastic one. I have been using it to clean off the snow station in the AL Cam for a long time!

-John

gogebictodd

Hi Scott, Hope all is well, an FYI. I ordered this one yesterday for up der. Great Reviews, cuts and slides down, on wheels, protects the roof.
A little pricey as roof rakes go, but worth it...........Here is the link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVEX5ESqCUo. Also the website:www.roofrake.com/Productpages/roofrakerazor.asp
There are other versions of it like the Avalanche. The Minnesnowta is made with better quality poles.
I have one of the old pull type ones, works ok, but scrapes the shingles and is quite labor intensive, I have a sore arm after using it for an hour.

Hi John,

Where did you get your new roof rake? Are you happy with it?

I wanted to make a recommendation in regards to a roof rack but was not sure if it was my place, but since I am second in line, I feel a little better about it
I purchased a new roof rack a few years back that I am super happy with it, it is very similar design as the listed above but its a pull so you dont end up kinking the pole. Its called the snow barber I think it may be discontinued but I found this one on ebay.

I know everyone has things they like want to share, the only improvement I would make is to add a piece of plastic on the bottom to pervent any scraching or damage to the roof.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snow-Barber...ultDomain_0&hash=item19ecf51b24#ht_120wt_1153

scott_b

Thanks Guys.

Todd, let me know how this works.

Skeeter, I bought one similar to that a few years ago but it was not strong enough to cut through the snow, ended up bending the frame.

gogebictodd

Scott,

Got a chance to use the Rake this past weekend/WORKS GREAT!! I Would recommend it, I was able to remove twice the amount of snow
compared to the old pull style, with less effort.

Thanks Guys.

Todd, let me know how this works.

Skeeter, I bought one similar to that a few years ago but it was not strong enough to cut through the snow, ended up bending the frame.