Running electricity to a house

polarisxcsp

Im looking at a place on Big Manistique in Curtis but it doesn’t have any power. He says its roughly 500’ from the closest pole. Anyone know how much or a rough guess at what it would cost to run power to it?

scott_b

I would suggest calling the power company. I have heard of instances that the lines or transformer at the road are maxed out and need to be upgraded to power another home. that cost is far more than running the 500' of wire and a few poles.

98panther

I would call also, don't believe what anyone says that's selling it.
When I bought I was told by the seller - power to the building was already paid, LOL.

It was paid to be at the road, that's it.
They came in 400' below ground, had to add another box, then another 50' to the cabin.

Cost me $2000 to get it to the cabin, plus they made us hire a local electrician. Could not install the service panel or box myself.
They would not come out until the electrian notified them.

garyl62

X3 on calling the power company, but we had to go 500 feet underground from the road to a new transformer they set then about 75 feet to the house was $3, 500 about 12 years ago in Eagle River WI. They did say if anyone else hooked on to the transformer within 5 years there would be some type of prorated cost to them and I'd get some money back. We sold the place after 2 or 3 years but a couple years later someone built on the lot next door and I got a check for about $500.

joks79

Depending on who's land you have to go across you might need an easement. Have you thought about solar?

garyl62

Just double checked my numbers and the bill I got was for both nat gas and elec. They charged about 1,800 for elec, and 1,750 for gas, but the big charge for running the line was all on the gas portion of the bill. I believe they put both lines in the same trench. The reason the elec was that high was due to setting the additional transformer.

I work for the utility in Lacrosse, WI. You really do need to have a design person come out and go over your needs and options. Each utility will have different specs,regulations,and costs, depending on what you exactly need. I would'nt shoot from the hip on this, you may get a big suprise you don't want(IMO). We are looking to build and I am having them come out, and I work for them...

sixball

We put ours under ground we did not want a clearing cut through the trees down to the cabin. It keeps the cabin a lot more hidden from the road.

Yooper_Bob

I know where that is. I grew up about 3 miles from there.

The wife and I actually looked at that property about 15 years ago when we were looking for a spot on the lake. We passed.

I am almost certain that Cloverland Electric provides the service there. I would definitely give them a call to see what it would cost to run power out there. I am suspecting it may be a lot...that is why the place has never had power run to it.

Also be aware that the cabin is very close to the waterline...if you plan on expanding, you may want to check into the setback restrictions. You may not be able to expand the footprint of the building due to the proximity to the water.

If I remember correctly, it also has no indoor plumbing. You may want to check that you can get approval for a septic system. The land there is a bit low, and may require a mound system.

Not trying to scare you off, but just to give you some insight into the challenges you may face.

P.S. One more thought....the road down to the point there is private, so the county does not maintain it. Last I knew, it was NOT plowed in the winter.