saddle bag trip around the up ?

buzz

#1) once you cross the bidge from the lower, is there a secure location that you can park your truck / trailer to make this trip?
#2)how many days would you give to ride such a trip making the loop back? Knowing that speed, route and # of stops will alter time frame. what would be a reasonable guess on avg.

wirev

Three out and thee back is not enough time for me. There are just too many things to see and do in the WUP. I would think a minimum of 8 would be o.k. Me, I'd probably like 9-10 days. Gives you a little leeway for a more comfortable trip. Why rush through beatiful country and great trails.
NDRev

edmarino

You will probably want a room either before you start or when you get back . So find a motel that will let you park your truck for the time you will be gone. As far as how long depends on how many miles a day you usually ride,then look at your maps and figure out the route you want to take and then add up the miles. There are a lot of places and things too see in the UP. so don't cut yourselve short. Depending on when you go you may have to factor in a weather day,when you can not ride because of conditions

mikeh906

We went from Wakefield, parked in the free parking spot next to the lake, sledded to the northside of Calumet, stayed at the motel next to the trail, then spent the day doing the Copper Harbor loop, stopped at the sands, by the Gay Bar, did some Lake Superior water skipping, then lunch At Gay, then on to the look out, then Copper, then ran the west side back down, stopped at Mariener, also the Bar motel on the southwest shore. Stopped at Keweenaw Brewery, then L'anse motel. 2 days down, then on to the northeast, to Newberry, spent the next day doing thr Ch. falls area, by the end of the day it was 45 degrees out and snow going quick, so on to the way back southwest we road late, stopped heading south, as the trails were turning into dirt, stopped at some motel a bout 3 hours from Krupps, took off early sunday heading to Krupps, in the rain. About 1/2 way took out a trailing arm, wire, duct tape, and a couple heavey duty zip ties, and then a stop at a motel the owner had a used carbide we needed, then on to Krupps. The arm failed 100% about a 1/2 mile from there. Limped it there. Left my girlfriend and the broken sled at Krupps and my son and I took off to Wakefield on 2 almost new 800 edges for the fastest run ever to wakefield, still in the rain and 50 degrees, we road ice, dirt and water all the way from Bergland. Then skipped Christmas Lake to get to the truck, It was dark out by then. Loaded, back to Krupps, then drove to Circle Pines, mn after dropping my son in St Croix Falls wisc. I had to work monday morn at 5am, made it on time only because of the time change. I think we road 1300 to 1400 miles total. It was spring of 03, so we only remember the good parts, and laugh about the troubles and weather. Ended up buying a few parts, ready for this? 2 pairs of skiis, 3 sets of 8 inch carbides, 2 full sets of studs, and 3 new belts. Got 1 more season out of the unstudded track. So replaced that then. So to answer your question, the more time you can spend taking your trip, the better. The biggest problem is having a mechanical issue 3-400 miles from your tow vehicle. We wish we cuold do it again. We did many years of 2-4 day saddle bag trips. Always had fun, most of the time we did not plan our motel stops, we just went to were the best snow was and winged it. Parted out my 02 edge in march of 07 with 13500 miles on it. Still have one 02 edge left, all rebuilt and extended to 144, it spent last year in CO., WY., and Utah with my son as a back up. He now rides an extended open mod 800 rev, fastest sled I have ever ridden. It smoked his buddys 800 09 summit in all elevations and snow conditions. Have a great trip. I sure miss snowmobiling.

mride460

#1) once you cross the bidge from the lower, is there a secure location that you can park your truck / trailer to make this trip?
#2)how many days would you give to ride such a trip making the loop back? Knowing that speed, route and # of stops will alter time frame. what would be a reasonable guess on avg.

#1...There is a municipal parking lot right in St. Ignace just a block off the main road that many leave their rigs in for a week or so at a time. I have left mine there for up to 10 days and never had ANY issues. I think it is next to the ice arena. The Driftwood Inn or Motel in St. Ignace is very sled friendly and rooms are about $50 + tax. If you get a room the night before you ride out you can leave your rig in their lot.

#2...Your riding style will determine trip length the most, and of course where or how far west you want to make it. If you can do 275 to 325 miles per day than you can see most of the UP in a 6 day trip.
A sample of a UP tour trip for my group would start with a Monday after work drive up to St. Ignace and stay at the Driftwood Monday night.
Head out Tuesday about 6am. Head up to Newberry then up to Paradise, Grand MArais down and over to Shingleton. Jump on the grade and head to #7 south to the Buckhorn for the night or up to Christmas to get a room. Usually done riding by 4:30-5pm.
Wednesday morning head out by 7am on trail 8 heading west. Then up to Big Bay and Mt. Arvon. then over to Baraga and headed north again up into the Keweenaw. Hit Copper Harbor and then back down to Mohawk and the White House motel and restaurant for the night.
Thursday up and at it by 7am again. Heading southwest from Mohawk toward Lake of the Clouds in the porkies. Run down to Bergland for lunch and then westward again to Hurley, WI for the night.
Friday morning headed southeast for lunch in Crystal Falls then back north to trail 8 and head east to stay the night in the Gwinn to Marquette area.
Saturday morning headed east to Seney for lunch and on across Big Manistique Lake to Curtis for the night.
Sunday morning in Curtis will find you within (depending on route chosen) 3 to 5 hours of riding from your truck in St. Ignace.

It sounds daunting but if you start your days early you can be done by dark and having some fun at the local watering holes. I am 35 and do trips like this several times throughout the winter with a group of 6 to 10 guys ranging from 35 to 72 years old.
Just have fun.....

Last edited:

jr37

Is your goal just to make a big loop, or do you want to see some of the beauty of the U.P. 100-150 miles a day if you want to see things, 200 miles a day if you are just out to put miles on.

tman

If you figure 20 miles an hour for every hour you are out that is a good average for the week. Granted some days will be much better than that and some days you sit in the tavern longer. I once went from Iron River, WI to Iron River, MI in 6 hours 220 miles. Another thing I always planned on was a down day or 0 miles day, just in case you break down or find a fun place to hang out for an extra day or so. If you plan too many miles and make reservations you put a lot of pressure on yourself and that takes part of the fun factor out of it. Don't go with a big group and save some sights for the following year, because once you do a saddlebag run you'll want to do it again. I started in the early 80's and have been doing it ever since.