saddle bag trips?

rozzy43

Saddle Bag trips....

Do you plan your trip ahead of time with all your lodging set? or do you just wing it and hope to find something along the way that evening?

looking at a few options to base out of for next season, but it's way early yet. plus assuming trail #2 in northern Wisconsin is still closed west of Hurley to Ashland?

Hoosier

We normally ride 4 or 5 days and have a general plan or loop in mind. I find it's better to be flexible because of conditions. Lots of times we'll book the hotel for the night when we're heading out for the day or when eating lunch. When we were younger and phones didn't get reception much, we'd kind of just show up in a town and hope for the best, or start calling places on the map when we're eating dinner. Ended up riding some long days doing that.

We're driving to the snow from IL/IN. Something we've done the past few years (before this no snow year) is have a starting point that doesn't involve as much time in the truck, and then staying in one place. For example a couple times we drove up to Tomahawk after work and stayed there, and rode up to Mass City and stayed there for several nights and then rode back to the truck the last day. We did something similar to the area you are looking at last March. I think we started around park falls and then stayed near Ironwood, WI. I can't remember which towns off the top of my head. This plan works well for us since it minimizes truck time and kind of lets us set up a base in the heart of wherever the most snow is and then do single day loops different directions from there. In NW Ontario on the other hand the way the trail system is set up, we'd be more likely do a multiple day loop with a different stop each day and set up the reservation in the morning before going.

Lots of different ways to do it. I don't like to be locked into a plan though because you lose flexibility if there's an area with conditions not up to what you expected. Earlier last season we drove up to Mass City and on the way we found out a buddy's kid could drive up from Traverse City area to ride with us a bit. Sounded like a great idea and it was nice to see him, but we had to ride all the way across the UP to meet him the Trout Lake area. There had been a big storm recently before then and there were several sections of the UP that had been beat up and not groomed which made for some riding we would have avoided had we not had to keep going the direction we were headed.

Last edited:

euphoric1

was supposed to do one with venturenorth this year, would have been my first ever bag trip and he had all our routes planned out including places to stay and as this winter we had a plan b figured out again with everything booked ahead, needless to say we didnt get to do neither a or b and am now anxiously awaiting next years bag trip, He is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the trails, distances and stops, from what I know and not even gone on one yet, the master of bag trips in the north woods.

old abe

Saddle Bag trips....

Do you plan your trip ahead of time with all your lodging set? or do you just wing it and hope to find something along the way that evening?

looking at a few options to base out of for next season, but it's way early yet. plus assuming trail #2 in northern Wisconsin is still closed west of Hurley to Ashland?
Winging it is really the most enjoyable. Used to do that all the time. However with weather conditions limiting the riding areas of good snow it doesn't work well. Too many people in limited area. Also a small group is best, 2 to 4 people is the easiest to find lodging for. Sadly you can be sure that trail 2 will not be available to ride. It's a shame too as that would be a nice run between Superior, Ashland, and Hurley.

rozzy43

A bucket list one... was to go from eastern wis over to minn, and possibly up towards the north shore and back. its still in cards depending on what next winter brings.
was supposed to do one with venturenorth this year, would have been my first ever bag trip and he had all our routes planned out including places to stay and as this winter we had a plan b figured out again with everything booked ahead, needless to say we didnt get to do neither a or b and am now anxiously awaiting next years bag trip, He is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the trails, distances and stops, from what I know and not even gone on one yet, the master of bag trips in the north woods.

Hoosier

A bucket list one... was to go from eastern wis over to minn, and possibly up towards the north shore and back. its still in cards depending on what next winter brings.
Last March when we were in NE WI we came across a couple groups that had ridden over from MN. Pretty cool. We thought about heading into MN from there but there was so much snow in NE WI it seems like a waste. Less than 11 months ago, seems crazy how much snow there was.

SHOOT2KILL

Sadly you can be sure that trail 2 will not be available to ride. It's a shame too as that would be a nice run between Superior, Ashland, and Hurley.
Yes, it was a great trail back then...They called it the "Iron Horse Trail" where it went thru the Bad River Reservation...Up until 1987, then the tribe burned all the bridges along the route...Here's a pic from Feb 1986 on that trail in the Rez...We were on a 7 day 1350 mile roundtrip bagger...Eagle River, Wi to Thunder Bay,On and back...

Attachments

• IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:

xcr440

Try to do at least one and usually two 10-day trips a year. Try to plan the middle weekend around a club trip (ours does 3-5 a year) so I can give someone a care package to swap out clothes and restock the oil supply. But that’s not always the case, and plan accordingly.

One of my favorites was in Feb 2019 riding from New Richmond, WI to Baudette, MN and back, 1,980 miles round trip. Temp got above zero for two total hours in 10 days.

I have had good luck with finding lodging as we go, but plan weekends as we all know those are busier.

Thanks B, but I just felt better booking ahead and limiting my distances, mostly because back then, I was riding SOLO....! (not smart, btw)
Thank God, it always pretty much worked out for me, met some great friends (and creatures) along the way. Riding on our local club overnight trips taught me alot, too....and had a ton of fun with those guys......It sure would be fun to just wing it, place to place, but my riding distances have shortened now..... But It is great to have a buddy or two along to share experiences. Hopefully next season will be better, can't get much worse!!!