"School me" on the Keweenaw

MZEMS2

I think my wife and I will point north again for our annual anniversary fall ride. We're considering heading for the tip of the almighty Keweenaw Peninsula. I'm looking for suggestions for a 3-4 day stay. We'll most likely be on the motorcycle and we'd like to do a couple of day rides from whichever "base" hotel we stay at. "Go"

Thanks all,
Rick

JeffB

Rick,
You have a few options up that way, but not a lot. Depending on how far North you choose to stay. If you're going to the tip, that'd be Copper Harbor. The Pines rents small cabins for $80-$100 a night. Limited dining and night life options up there though. Houghton will have more options for both.
M-26 along the Lake is a nice ride, and Brockway Mountian is what every goes up there for. Road kind of sucks on the bike, not horrible, but not great.
I haven't spent a lot of time riding the West end, but some. You can run to Ontonagon and ride the Norwich Rd over towards Ewen and back, I believe this is called the bluffs. Highway 16 in Kenton South to US2 is also a nice ride with some newer black top. Will take you West of Iron River. Another stop might be "Lake of the Clouds" in the Porcupine Mountains. You can google this and you'll see some awesome views, especially in the fall.
I would highly recommend riding up H58 East of Munising to Grand Marais one day. Probably the best riding you'll find in the area. That's about a 200 mile trip from Houghton, or a hundred from Marquette. Le t me know if you have any questions.

favoritos

Rick,
I spend quite a bit of time up there in the winter, but have only done the summer trip a couple of times.
If you want to enjoy the lake views, JeffB nailed some of the must do hits. Brockway is the spot to see the sun kiss the lake. It is a fun time, but the road is a bit beaten down. Plan to get up there a bit early so you can enjoy the ride.
Lake of the Clouds is beautiful. Not in the Keweenaw though. Hit the Copper Peak ski flying site if you get into that area. Take the elevator and climb to the top. Quite the view.

jr37

I'd stay in Houghton/ Hancock and ride from there. One could be a nice casual ride in the Kee. Lots to see. One day could be west to the Porkies and Lake Goegebic. One day could be east to Muinising and Picture Rocks area. This day would be a higher mileage, less causual pace kind of day. Lots to see all around and many great places to stay.

MZEMS2

Hey guys, thanks for the pointers. We were up last fall and went to Lake of The Clouds....definitely nice!! Kinda thinkin somewhere between Duluth and Munising for a "base" stay, and ride in different directions each day. We'll be on our Can Am Spyder, so a nice 250 mile day is pretty easy for us. I'm guessing we'll point that way around the 1st week of Oct....maybe later. Would like to see more color than last year. But, last year was weird as far as color goes.

Woodtic

FFH16 is in good shape from M2 to M28. From M28 to South Laird rd is ok at best. South Laird Rd to M38 is new.

MZEMS2

Based on a coworker's recent ride, we've had a bit of change in plans. I think we'll call Escanaba our "base". I hope to go north to Grand Marais one day, east to Mackinaw City one day, and maybe northwest one day. We'll see. I'm ok with a "tourist trap" for a day. I hope to ride H58 to Grand Marais, my coworker said it was a nice ride. Otherwise, not sure what roads are best.

JeffB

Still lots of options. From Esky, you can take 41 North in Rapid River to Trenary. Take a right in Trenary to M94 and this will bring you to Munising. You can ride H58 up to Grand Marais (and back) otherwise you take M77 out of Grand Marais to M28. Its all a straight shot that way, but H58 is worth riding both directions. From Wetmore(just outside Munising) you can take Highway 13 back to US2 just East of Rapid River and shoot back to Escanaba.
US2 along the Lake to Mack City is a nice ride along the lake. 2 is busy with traffic in the summer though. (busy by Yooper standards) Big Spring in Thompson, just before Manistique may be worth a stop. You can take a decked barge out into, well....out into a Big Spring. lol That's about it.
Mack City is what it is, worth the ride but touristy. I would recommend running South on 75 and taking the Petoskey exit towards Levering, Mi. Take a right off 31 towards Cross Village. A nice stop at the Legg's Inn for food or refreshement before riding M119 Tunnel of Trees. Coming out in Harbor Springs/Petoskey. You can take 31 back up to the bridge and come back the same way. Be a good full day trip.
A local ride around Escanaba would be heading West on 2 a few miles, then take a right on M69. I'd recommend a stop at Solberg's in Felch for food(excellent Sat. night Prime Rib) before continuing on 69 to M95. Here you can take a left to Iron Mountain or a right into Marquette and make a nice loop. Actually, leaving Esky and heading to Marquette and doing that loop in reverse would probably be better. My opinion anyway.

MZEMS2

Still lots of options. From Esky, you can take 41 North in Rapid River to Trenary. Take a right in Trenary to M94 and this will bring you to Munising. You can ride H58 up to Grand Marais (and back) otherwise you take M77 out of Grand Marais to M28. Its all a straight shot that way, but H58 is worth riding both directions. From Wetmore(just outside Munising) you can take Highway 13 back to US2 just East of Rapid River and shoot back to Escanaba.
US2 along the Lake to Mack City is a nice ride along the lake. 2 is busy with traffic in the summer though. (busy by Yooper standards) Big Spring in Thompson, just before Manistique may be worth a stop. You can take a decked barge out into, well....out into a Big Spring. lol That's about it.
Mack City is what it is, worth the ride but touristy. I would recommend running South on 75 and taking the Petoskey exit towards Levering, Mi. Take a right off 31 towards Cross Village. A nice stop at the Legg's Inn for food or refreshement before riding M119 Tunnel of Trees. Coming out in Harbor Springs/Petoskey. You can take 31 back up to the bridge and come back the same way. Be a good full day trip.
A local ride around Escanaba would be heading West on 2 a few miles, then take a right on M69. I'd recommend a stop at Solberg's in Felch for food(excellent Sat. night Prime Rib) before continuing on 69 to M95. Here you can take a left to Iron Mountain or a right into Marquette and make a nice loop. Actually, leaving Esky and heading to Marquette and doing that loop in reverse would probably be better. My opinion anyway.

Hey thanks for the ideas. Well worth looking into.

Pizza Man

We took another couple up to Munising a few weeks ago. Based out of there, you can find all kinds of roads you'll like. Do the Munising to Seney, up to Grand Marais, back to Munising, stopping at Picture Rocks on the way. Go south for a day to Indian Springs, neat little lake that stays open year round.

JeffB

Maybe I'll look into that! :)
Just enjoy riding the bike in the summer ALMOST as much as the sled.