SE WI to Togwotee Mtn Lodge

So in two weeks four of us flat landers are headed out (driving) to Togwotee Mtn Lodge from the Milwaukee, WI area. It's a safe plan to take I90 out there, correct? Or should we take I80? Google maps says there is about a 60 mile difference in favor of I90 out there between the two major highways.

polarisrider1

So in two weeks four of us flat landers are headed out (driving) to Togwotee Mtn Lodge from the Milwaukee, WI area. It's a safe plan to take I90 out there, correct? Or should we take I80? Google maps says there is about a 60 mile difference in favor of I90 out there between the two major highways.

I would do I-80

longtrack

Check the Weather. If you go I90 you may want to cut south at Rapid City and go to Casper via Hot Springs and Lusk, Wy to avoid the Pass west of Gillette. Either way let the Weather report choose the best way. There is a bad stretch north of Cheyenne, Wy by Wheatland on I25 also if you take I80.

I am leaving Friday for Lava Mt and I may go over the Pass thru Ten Sleep this time, depending on the weather forcast. From Merrill I90 is 200 Miles shorter. If they close the Gates 200 Miles may be a lot faster.

longtrack

In December I took I90 to Denver instead of I80 because I80 was closed for a couple Days. It was -35 in Lusk Wyoming but I kept rolling going the North route. It was a mess when I got back to Omaha on my way Home.

If you have someone with a Laptop and a 3G Card it really helps to check the forcast.

polarisrider1

I have done it both ways. I-80 is faster for me since I have to be more south to go around the bottom of Lake MI. But I think I-80 closes more often. It seems quicker Than I-90. Best to just map quest it both ways and see what looks better for you.

Thanks guys! Good suggestion Longtrack on the laptop and aircard weather tracking and route picking. It's good to hear others experiences on this.

Anyone else care to chime in?

timmer72

Longtrack is right, it is about 50-60 miles shorter to go to Hot Springs from Rapid city on to Lusk and Casper. 85 is a good two lane where you can go 65 to 70 mph. Just went through there last weekend. Do take I-90 across MN and SoDak though... that would be fastest. If you still need supplies before headin up the hill, Riverton is your best bet(115 or so miles from Tog).

revved

Anyone else care to chime in?

Ok, I'll chime in. I think you should take me with :)

We rode together at Mohawk last yr. Attached is a pic to jog your memory.

Are you all on mt sleds now? I think there was a Switchback and maybe a Crossfire in the group last year. Plus someone, I think you, had just bought a Summit. I'm still on my 136x1.75 Renegade.

Attachments

• snow2sm.jpg
    snow2sm.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 23

lookin4snow

I always take 90 across MN and SD. I have heard about going through Lusk, but we never have tried that. We go to Gillette and then take 59 South to 387 (I think) through Midwest and then hop on I25 South just North of Casper. You can also avoid Riverton by taking 133 and 134 around. This will save you 20 minutes as well. From my place north of Madison it is 1250 miles almost exactly. Drove it last week and it is 19 hours to Dubois and just about 20 to TML. Am heading back out 2/28.