Search & Rescue needed at Togwotee & Snowies

skeedoo

I've been sledding at Tog the last 3 days and yesterday when we got to the lodge parking area there was at least 40 search and rescue sledders and the S & R helicopter parked across the street. It was 2 sledders dropped in a place they couldn't get out. Well they spent the night, made a fire and were found the next day. Good to be prepared.
So today I made my way to the Snowies to ride with some friends from the Centennial area and then "Lookn4snow" from this site is gonna show up wednesday and I'll finish out the week with him and 4 of his buddies. I Showed up at the Old Corral to hear the sledders talking about 6 missing in the Snowies out of the Greenrock Staging area. They said a search & rescue plane was flying over all day. Two sledders have been out 2 nights already. Right now we have a major snow storm with really high winds down in Centennial so I know the mountain is brutal conditions. Please say prayers for these snowmobilers.

lookin4snow

Leaving in the Morning

We are leaving tomorrow morning at 5:00 a.m. to head out to the Snowies. The forecast calls for high winds, which gives the Snowies their nickname of the "blowies." Libby flats and over the top is brutal with the winds. Hopefully they are in the trees somewhere. Over on Snowest they reported another group had been found. Let's hope this group is found safe.

Note that the avalanche danger is high in the Snowies for all east and northeast facing slopes, including in the trees! Be careful....

See you tomorrow Skeedoo!

So in both locations with all this snow so soon this season, what are the locals/guide saying about the avy dangers? Are they going to be high all season now?
Hoping the large group in the snowies get found soon! I know my survival gear is going to be checked this weekend for the trip in Jan...

skeedoo

Good news, all have been rescued from the Snowies. There were actually 7 sledders missing, 2 spent a couple of nights out there. Glad there back!!!

jd

Administrator
Staff member
So in both locations with all this snow so soon this season, what are the locals/guide saying about the avy dangers? Are they going to be high all season now?
H...

Should not be a problem all season. The first snows of the season were pretty wet and heavy and bonded well with the ground. So the main risk is any weak layer and/or loading being formed by new snow. Both of those factors either work their way out (in the form of an avy) or just go away as the snow settles and stabilizes.

Last year the first real snows of the season fell on an icy ground, so there was a weak layer between the ground and the entire snowpack for the entire season.

-John

jimmyj

Heading out to Tog for first time in January and I am heeding the "be prepared" statement. I now carry a small survival kit and first aid kit with me even when in Wisconsin and UP. The wife bought me a Sno Bunje and I have the shovel too now. I used both the shovel and the Sno bunje extensively this weekend in North Central Wisconsin. Saved me a lot of work in some fairly big snow drifts. John, this is an awesome page. I love the wx obs and forecasts, but I also love the good info that everyone puts out on this page.