Seeing sleds headed north

skeedoo

I'm headed south on Highway 141 just north of Green Bay and I am seeing lots and I mean lots of sleds on trailers headed north. I am on my way home from the Keweenaw and there are places north of Houghton/Hancock pushing 12+ inches now and more on the way. Looks like some sledders plan on getting a jump start on the season... lucky people!!! I have to get home for Thanksgiving dinner with the family, but I can tell you it was hard to leave ridable snow. Darn it!!!!!

skeedoo

12" is at buddies house. Local weather says 7" but he measured and buried his 12" ruler. He lives about 15 miles Northwest of the Houghton/Hancock bridge. Houghton had 4" or so. Breeze you know how it works up there, from no snow to buried short distances apart.

Pat, my new sled is SICK!!!!!!!!!!! Ski-doo nailed it with the "Freeride" I'll post pics soon. Didn't ride cause it came from factory with high altitude clutching and gonna head west (possibly to ride with you and the wrecking crew) very soon so didn't want to put in my low altitude clutching to just play for a short ride. Gotta get off Droid starting snowing hard just north of Milwukee. I'll let ya know soon.

Last edited:

curveballer98

Skeedoo, I live in the Keweenaw, Hancock/Houghton area, and there's not 12 inches of snow around here... maybe 3-4 at the very best. Also, the trails are closed and illegal to ride on for sledders until December 1st. It's also still currently firearm deer season up here, so I'm not sure I'd care to take the risk of riding down the trail past someones deer blind. Not to mention, why would you want to risk ruining your sled riding on a couple inches of snow. There's no where enough to bury the hidden objects below.

skeedoo

Skeedoo, I live in the Keweenaw, Hancock/Houghton area, and there's not 12 inches of snow around here... maybe 3-4 at the very best. Also, the trails are closed and illegal to ride on for sledders until December 1st. It's also still currently firearm deer season up here, so I'm not sure I'd care to take the risk of riding down the trail past someones deer blind. Not to mention, why would you want to risk ruining your sled riding on a couple inches of snow. There's no where enough to bury the hidden objects below.

curveballer98,
If you read my post a little further up in this thread you saw I said Houghton has 4" or so, which is exactly what you said... with you living up there you should know that snow depth varies ALOT in different area's of the Keweenaw even just very small distances apart. I am just reporting what I know, and I know that an area just north of you has snow that is 12" deep. May not be a very large area but at a buddies house that measured with a ruler there was 12" and more was to come...which it did.

As far as riding goes... I picked up my new sled put it in the back of my truck and drove 650 miles south back home. I had no plans of riding while I was up there, snow or not. I am fully aware of when trails open and that you guys have gun season going on right now. On my way home I saw several sleds headed north on trailers... again just reporting what I know/saw.

As far as riding up there before the season starts... you can refer to another thread on the Miscellaneous Page Tiltled... "Western UP location for testing this weekend". This will confirm the fact that there is and will be riding going on during deer/gun season and before trails open December 1st. Whether its legal or not I couldn't tell you but this seems to be one area that you can ride during this time. Also I am not possitive on this but I believe you can ride sleds on the trails before Dec. 1st after dark, maybe thats the intention of these early season sledders.

As far as not nearly enough snow to cover up all of the obstructions below... I agree with you on that. Thats one reason I loaded my new sled into the back of my truck without even taking it for a test ride.

By starting this thread I wasn't trying to get anyone up to your area to ride early season, but from what I saw in my 650 mile drive you guys are the only ones with any snow at all along that travel route that I and all these sleds headed north were on. Once you got just south about 50 miles of you it was green grass all the way back to Indiana, so its very possible thats where these sleds were headed. Sorry for upsetting you, that was not my intention at all... but my guess is with the little bit of snow you already have, the snow that came the day I left and whats still to come your gonna see plenty of sleds scooting around your area before season officially opens. Right or wrong thats whats gonna happen. Again my apologies go out to you and all of the deer hunters trying to bag a big buck this year... Hope you get one, but please don't shoot the messenger, no pun intented.

Last edited:

felonious_rider

Thanks for Sharing

Skeedoo, thanks for sharing and getting me all pumped up,,,,and you don't have to explain to me I understood what you were saying at the beginning of your thread!