Serious accident - Car hit sled Hwy M at 51

Cirrus

My son came upon the scene minutes after it happened, heading home. Sled crossing M in a group of 4/5, and one was hit broad side by a car. Car and sled tore up. Ambulance on route to scene. Operator laying on ground, not moving. If anyone has details, please post. This probably happened about 2:00-2:15 PM today. Prayers...

Longlegs

M north of Arbor Vitea? That’s a busy stretch. Prayin they’ll be ok. My friend got hit last year by a pick up with a plow. They think the plow flap blocked his headlights. It’s a bad deal when you get hit at that speed.

Cirrus

Yes - Vilas, just past the turnoff from HWY 51. I believe that trail is the Arbor Vitae system. I see people just FLYING around that turn from 51 onto M, all the time.
You can take that turn at 45-50, but the trail has to be at least a 1/4 from the turn, so I don't get it. I suspect there were visibility issues with the cold weather, maybe had a helmet fogging up.

Kid said it looked like a head on, but I can't picture how that could happen, unless crossing road at an angle.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
That sucks. Got a dollar says that the person in front of the sled that got hit, waved him/her through. Dumbest thing I've ever seen.

goofy600

We drove through just as ambulance pulled up, the truck had a lot of damage didn’t see sled but people were tending to rider. The trails crosses the road at about a 90 so it had to be a broadside because front end of truck damaged. So yes prayers to all involved hope for the best.

MATTR

That sucks. Got a dollar says that the person in front of the sled that got hit, waved him/her through. Dumbest thing I've ever seen.

My prayers to the ones immediatly involved. Judgement day is gonna suck for the ARROGANT FEW

sjb

I have been riding with kids a lot this past 2 years (teenagers) and go over the basics of riding all the time. Usually I lead. When we come to an intersection, I NEVER wave someone through. They need to stop and look for themselves. If I see a car approaching, and it will be close at all, I keep the whole group back. If the vehicle is a ways off and believe we can all safely make it, I will point to where the oncoming vehicle is while I cross to ensure they are aware of the potential risk.

Waving through, never understood that gesture.

blkhwkbob

I have been riding with kids a lot this past 2 years (teenagers) and go over the basics of riding all the time. Usually I lead. When we come to an intersection, I NEVER wave someone through. They need to stop and look for themselves. If I see a car approaching, and it will be close at all, I keep the whole group back. If the vehicle is a ways off and believe we can all safely make it, I will point to where the oncoming vehicle is while I cross to ensure they are aware of the potential risk.

You can ride with my group anytime. That's exactly how we do it.

favoritos

sjb, I like your approach.

I see a lot of sleds in groups that take road crossings way too casually. Honestly, I rarely see the front rider "wave" the group across.
I do see a lot of group riders that just simply go behind the leader without turning their heads to look.
I usually lead as well and I consider it a big responsibility to keep the group safe. We have had a couple of new riders lately which really adds to the task. I have found that new riders seem to have the natural instinct to "watch" the leader and assume it's safe. We spend time as a group watching the new riders to break them of that instinct at crossings. It's not always fun, or easy, to do a "pull over" talk with the new riders. But, it is surprising how often they didn't even realize that they crossed without a good look for traffic. I feel like I'm preaching at times with the new riders and it's not much fun. I also know the rider's odds when it goes wrong.

sjb

sjb, I like your approach.

I see a lot of sleds in groups that take road crossings way too casually. Honestly, I rarely see the front rider "wave" the group across.
I do see a lot of group riders that just simply go behind the leader without turning their heads to look.
I usually lead as well and I consider it a big responsibility to keep the group safe. We have had a couple of new riders lately which really adds to the task. I have found that new riders seem to have the natural instinct to "watch" the leader and assume it's safe. We spend time as a group watching the new riders to break them of that instinct at crossings. It's not always fun, or easy, to do a "pull over" talk with the new riders. But, it is surprising how often they didn't even realize that they crossed without a good look for traffic. I feel like I'm preaching at times with the new riders and it's not much fun. I also know the rider's odds when it goes wrong.

When my son was 12, and just started on his own, we were in a small town. I saw a car coming about 8 blocks away. The side streets were very slippery and snow covered. When we came to the stop sign, we both stopped. I proceeded forward as the car was going about 15 mph. My son never looked, but spun his track and took a minute to move forward. By then, the car was right there and he pulled in front of it. I saw it all happening in slow motion and was watching a potential crash with my son. I ran out and the car either saw me or saw him, but stopped in time. He was whaling his horn and appropriately so. My son got a serious talking to and we turned the sled around and went home, which he got another talk on safety. We put on 6 miles that day.

elf

I have been riding with kids a lot this past 2 years (teenagers) and go over the basics of riding all the time. Usually I lead. When we come to an intersection, I NEVER wave someone through. They need to stop and look for themselves. If I see a car approaching, and it will be close at all, I keep the whole group back. If the vehicle is a ways off and believe we can all safely make it, I will point to where the oncoming vehicle is while I cross to ensure they are aware of the potential risk. <br>
<br>
<br><br>I had this discussion with my nephew last yr. His dad would cross and wave him through and he wouldn’t even look. So I told him I trust my brother (his dad) with my life but I am still going to look both ways every time. <br>
<br>

katden4

When my son was 12, and just started on his own, we were in a small town. I saw a car coming about 8 blocks away. The side streets were very slippery and snow covered. When we came to the stop sign, we both stopped. I proceeded forward as the car was going about 15 mph. My son never looked, but spun his track and took a minute to move forward. By then, the car was right there and he pulled in front of it. I saw it all happening in slow motion and was watching a potential crash with my son. I ran out and the car either saw me or saw him, but stopped in time. He was whaling his horn and appropriately so. My son got a serious talking to and we turned the sled around and went home, which he got another talk on safety. We put on 6 miles that day.

Good for you to teach your son a lesson, and I am sure he learned from it. In most of todays world, it would be the cars fault, and the parent would be yelling at the driver of the car! So glad that he wasn't hit, and how refreshing to hear your story. I watch it all the time of parents letting their little monsters do anything they want with no discipline. Drives me nuts.

chords

How about the first person to cross stop. Get off. And have a second set of eyes to assist (not wave) others. Would that procedure not be a safer way or is it just every man for themselves.

sjb

Good for you to teach your son a lesson, and I am sure he learned from it. In most of todays world, it would be the cars fault, and the parent would be yelling at the driver of the car! So glad that he wasn't hit, and how refreshing to hear your story. I watch it all the time of parents letting their little monsters do anything they want with no discipline. Drives me nuts.

He is 16 now and still talks about that day. As I tell him, I am not is friend to make him feel good. I am his father, with a roll to show him from right from wrong. There will be times he will be very pissed at me. This was one of those times, and my wife and I said we were very glad he was here to be pissed. Things could have gone very wrong is a situation like this.

bonnevier

You'd think this would be in the paper or on the web but I can't find anything on it.  Hoping that means it was a good outcome...fingers crossed!<br><br>